Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Plan and Questions

Hi everybody!
    Been really enjoying the forum and I have a few questions that I would like to ask.

Currently I have a 5 gallon tank set up. I just inherited a 10 gallon tank and was hoping to switch tanks. The current game plan is to put about half the water and gravel in the new tank from the old tank and let it run for a few days, test the water, and switch the fish out. Some of the websites I have been reading say that you can go ahead and switch the tanks right out, any advice on weather it is better to wait?

The second question is how much water should a filter be pumping. Both tanks are hand me downs, and one has a stream of water that looks like an opened tap (thats the one with fish) and the new one isn't doing much at all. I know I need to change the impeller in the new one, but I was also wondering if I could change it in the mega pumping one. It evaporates like crazy.

Reading over this I think I should have just posted a flowchart.
    Thanks
    Lindsey.

Re: Game Plan and Questions

Howdy....and welcome to the box. I'll let the more experienced handle your tank change question. I believe you're on the right track with your game plan though.....

Good Luck....and hope to see you around more...

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

If I were you I'd put your old filter on your new tank (along side the old one) until the new one has had a chance to get enough bacteria to keep the cycle up.  That way you could switch your fish over right away.  You can put the old gravel in if you want.  If you're planning on keeping the 5 gallon running you could just put the new filter on the 5 gallon (basically the same thing, just wait until it's had enough time to gather bacteria.  
      I know nothing about impellers so the others will have to help you there.  Have fun with your new tank!
      58G Malawis
      10G planted

Comment

What filters are you running on each tank.....brand/model number...etc??  That will give us more info as far as what your issues may be with each filter.

The swap process that you described seems right on.

Comment

I agree, it sounds good so far. Sproett's suggestion is great about using the old filter. It would be good even if the other one was running perfectly.

More specifically, be sure to take the fish out before you remove the gravel. (Let them hang out in a bucket for a couple minutes during the transfer.) Just because sometimes tightly compacted gravel can release H2S when it is disturbed, which is not good at all for your fish.

Otherwise, everything sounds great!  
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

On the larger filter you will probably find that it is cheaper and easier to just buy a new filter rather than hunt for an impeller. You can pick up an Aquaclaer 20 gallon filter for next to nothing, and then you know your filter is in good working order. I would recommend going with at least a 20 gallon rated filter rather than one that is only rated at 10. The more flow you have, the better.
            Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

I agree with Scott, but would add, I personally like to "over filter" if at all financially possible, go with something twice the size you think you need if your  pocket book can afford it. And, while I'm throwing my own personal feelings out into the wind, I prefer the Emperor line up of filters over the AquaClear. But agree, AquaClear is a VERY good filter.

CF
              Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Nobody asked what sort of fish you have?

Welcome to the box, so what type of fish do you have? and how many of each.
                :signheya:

Comment

In a 5g going to a 10g I would hope it is something like guppies or tetras.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Trust me.....the hunt for a new impeller is a pain in the you know what.  Plus most all the impellers out there cost about half as much as a new filter in most cases.

Aquaclear vs. Emperor......  I have had just about every one that Marineland makes but after replacing more impellers than I care to discuss from sand issues I have had enough.  I would say go with the Aquaclear especially for the wide range of media that you can use in them off the shelf.  And always go with as much filtration as you can reasonably afford.  Just like you are moving up to a 10 gallon now....it is inevitable that you will more than likely be getting a bigger one sooner or later....LOL.

Comment

5 Gallon tank, that's easy, she's keeping a full grown pacu of course!
                      Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Just flips him over on his back to get both sides wet right....LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brownsnoutuk";p="
                          Nobody asked what sort of fish you have?

Welcome to the box, so what type of fish do you have? and how many of each.
                          :signheya:
                          Currently a guppy, 3 rummy nosed tetras, a flame gourami, and an oto.

Any suggestions on a few more to add?

Comment

If you are going to add anything I would do more Rummynose since they are schooling fish.
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I agree with Eklikewhoa.
                              58G Malawis
                              10G planted

Comment

Working...
                              X