Green Terror going Blind???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Terror going Blind???

Fishlady has a green terror that has little bubbles or shells over each pupil on each eye. At first he/it only had one of these on one eye. Now both of his eyes have a little milky white "cap" over the pupil area.

Does anyone know what this is and if it is treatable?

We first noticed the first blemish about a month ago, the other eye got the same condition about two weeks later. I believe his eye sight is failing now, we would like to correct this condition if possible.

Please advise.....

CF/Fishlady
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Re: Green Terror going Blind???

Eye clout is your problem...a lil' Melafix should clear that up in a few days or so.

Comment

I hope your right, I'll pass the suggested treatment meds along to Fishlady, thanks for speaking out.

Do you happen to know what causes this condition?

CF
      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Melafix or just some epsom/aquarium salt should clear it. Do water changes inbetween.

Usually it bumps itslef or the water is dirty....sometimes both.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa";p="
          Melafix or just some epsom/aquarium salt should clear it. Do water changes inbetween.

Usually it bumps itslef or the water is dirty....sometimes both.

I agree. I had the same problem with a Sunshine Peacock. I put him in a med. tank and treated with Melafix for about six days and problem was solved.

Comment

I think a lot of the time it's from getting in little fights with others in the tank. Make sure no one's bothering him too much.

Melafix works wonders!  :)
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Do you have to remove the carbon from the filter when treating with Melafix???

Comment

Hmm, I'm pretty sure you do...
                "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Yes, anything that will strip the water of anything....also if you can increase surface agitation for more oxygen/gas exchange.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

EK, are  you saying that surface agitation would be a good thing to aid treatment or just the opposite?

CF

Comment

If it does not clearup with Melafix, you need to treat for about 4 days with API's EM Erythromycin powder packets.  You can get them at any Petco, Petsmart, or LFS.

I had a Tropheus get it, and the root cause was Large temperature change.

I had a very unusual case of ICK last year and had elevated the temperature to 88F  Then after the treatment, I just uplugged the heater and let it cool down on its own.  Well, it cooled too quickly and a couple got cloudy eye.  Alex at Ultimate fish said it was because of the Temperature and told me to treat with the EM tablets.

It all cleared up within 3-4 days.  Just besure to follow the directions on the box and I would treat fully for 5 days atleast.

Hope this helps...

Take care,

Geoff
                      380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                      300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                      180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                      150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Good thing regardless really since it aids in the gas exchange to get more oxygen into the water column but with melafix it depletes oxygen I believe.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

In my honest opinion, during any med treatment you should always add extra aeration to the tank.

Even consider putting some Aquarium Salt in there to help aid in respiration and overall stress reducer.

I just consider it good practice to do so.
                          380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                          300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                          180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                          150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Thanks for all the tips and comments guys, I'm sure fishlady will be thrilled when she sees the response you all have shared to help her restore "captains" eye sight....

My Best Regards...

CF

Comment

okay....."the captain" as i lovingly refer to my green terror is in a 20 gallon sick tank....i have added the first dose of melafix for him.....i'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will clear up his eyes so he will be okay again....he's too gorgeous to go blind .....
                              thanks everyone for all the advice too....
                              time will tell for him....

FL

Comment

Working...
                              X