Discus & Cat/Sharks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discus & Cat/Sharks?

I have a black-fin shark & blue cats. I plan on getting rid of all the "starter" fish in my tank (ie. all the tetras, danios and barbs) leaving the sharks and cats alone. Can I add these beautiful discus I have been seeing around these sites?? Or would it be best to add the more aggresive cichlids??
    75gal: 2 Blk Male Cons-Pair Firemouth+Fry-3 Sunset Gouramis-3 Hillstream "Butterfly" Loaches
    55gal: 2 Bol. Rams-1 4-Line Pim. Cat-10 Comunty Fish-1 Cmn? Pleco-1 Albino Bstlnose Pleco
    29gal: Tore down...For Sale!

Re: Discus & Cat/Sharks?

Please do not put any discus with any aggressive fish. the fast movement alone will stress out the discus. Wont even bring up the fact that aggressive fish will tear apart the discus.
    Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
    Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
    Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Well there goes my "colorful" idea!!!

Ok, so no discus. What cichlids can I put with them?? I love colorful fish and the sharks/cats aren't doing that for me :(
      75gal: 2 Blk Male Cons-Pair Firemouth+Fry-3 Sunset Gouramis-3 Hillstream "Butterfly" Loaches
      55gal: 2 Bol. Rams-1 4-Line Pim. Cat-10 Comunty Fish-1 Cmn? Pleco-1 Albino Bstlnose Pleco

Comment

I know were are some nice  Pink Convicts fry are at.
        HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.
        Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
        Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
        Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

I'm worried those sweet babies would be a appetizer for my sharks & cats :(

Comment

If the black-fin shark is the same thing as a Columbian shark then (Arius jordani) then it gets pretty large and is a brackish water and I'm not familiar with any large brackish fish that would be compatible, some others on here might be able to help more.  As for the blue catfish, I've heard they eat just about everything, especially when they're large (other fish included).  Either way, I'm thinking other large fish would work best.  Go to http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php and search for your two fish, you'll find loads of information there (probably more than you're looking for   ).
            58G Malawis
            10G planted

Comment

How many of each? Do you know the scientific names for the cats? And how big is your tank? You might not need to "get rid" of the starter fish...if you wait a little bit, your cats might take care of them for you!  8O
              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I have 3 black-fin sharks (aka Columbian Sharks, Catfish Sharks). 2 blue catfish (aka Blue Channel Cats). They are at the most 2" each. I plan on keeping juveniles only. When they get too big I plan on taking them in for an adoption. I didn't realize how big they were going to get when I got them at Walmart!! They were so pretty & active I went head first and then did the research afterwards  

The Rainbow Shark is an eye-catcher in any freshwater aquarium. Read on to learn more about how to care for this aggressive beauty in your home tank.

Official Web Site of Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources

I was told at the LFS that I can mix them with South & Central American cichlids, puffers, parrots, silver dollars and pacus....

Comment

I'd say yes to the south & central american cichlids, blood parrots, and silver dollars.  I'd stay clear of pacus, they get to 2-3' very quickly and are very hard to get rid of when they are large.  As for the puffers, I think that'd depend on what kind you get.
                  Good south & central american cichlids would be green terrors, jack dempseys, severums (same body shape as discus), firemouths, convicts,  etc.  Some stay moderately small (6") while others get over a foot so there's a nice range.
                  58G Malawis
                  10G planted

Comment

Originally posted by sproett";p="
                    I'd say yes to the south & central american cichlids, blood parrots, and silver dollars.  I'd stay clear of pacus, they get to 2-3' very quickly and are very hard to get rid of when they are large.  As for the puffers, I think that'd depend on what kind you get.
                    Good south & central american cichlids would be green terrors, jack dempseys, severums (same body shape as discus), firemouths, convicts,  etc.  Some stay moderately small (6") while others get over a foot so there's a nice range.
                    I added aquarium freshwater salt for the cat/sharks. Can all the fish you mention handle the salt? Will I eventually need to add the sea-salt instead of the freshwater salt? What about the "Texas" cichlid? My pH has been nuetralized at 7.0 and temp ranges from 78-80.

Comment

How much salt have you added? In a 55g, and if you only plan on keping them while they're still small, you probably don't need any salt. The other fish don't need it, either. But the younger cats will be fine in freshwater. If you plan on getting a much larger tank and keeping them a while longer, then just the "sharks" will need to be in a brackish environment, which means you'll have to add marine salt.

And what do you mean your pH has been "neutralized" at 7.0? Do you mean it's stable, or are you adding something to the water?
                      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I looked up the columbian sharks and many sources suggest they are fine in fresh water when they are young, although none mentioned when they start needing brackish water except to say that as adults they do.  The freshwater salt is not what you want to use, the sea-salt is mixed at half the dose of full salt water.  None of the cichlids I mentioned will do well in brackish water, although a bit of freshwater salt shouldn't hurt them (follow dosing instructions on the package).  The texas cichlid will work fine, they get around 12" so they shouldn't get eaten.  (just not in brackish water).  If I were you I'd either sell the sharks now or keep them in freshwater since you plan to sell them before they are full grown anyways.  Or, you could get a separate tank and make it brackish water.  Post pictures!  We all love to see them  
                        58G Malawis
                        10G planted

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu";p="
                          How much salt have you added? In a 55g, and if you only plan on keping them while they're still small, you probably don't need any salt. The other fish don't need it, either. But the younger cats will be fine in freshwater. If you plan on getting a much larger tank and keeping them a while longer, then just the "sharks" will need to be in a brackish environment, which means you'll have to add marine salt.

And what do you mean your pH has been "neutralized" at 7.0? Do you mean it's stable, or are you adding something to the water?
                          We added the aquarium salt recommended amount per instructions on the box. The guy at the local fish store suggested pH buffer because our pH was at 7.6. So we added that last night.

Comment

Working...
                          X