Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to raise ph with baking soda, ph dropped?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to raise ph with baking soda, ph dropped?

I took some water from a tank with ph 8.1. i added a small amount of baking soda and stirred it in. The ph went from 8.1 to 7.7. No matter how much baking soda i added it stayed at 7.7.

The water from the tap was coming out at 7.6 last night, but my ph unit is calibrated right. Any ideas to raise ph to 8.2-8.4?

Re: Tryed to raise ph with baking soda, ph dropped?

Weird...

You tested the water right before you added the baking soda?

8.1 isn't that far from 8.2-8.4, what kind of fish?
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I hate to ask this question, but did you make certain is was baking soda and not baking powder?

Baking Soda should put you in the 8.0-8.2 if you add a tablespoon per 5-10 gallons depending on youre tap source.
      380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
      300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
      180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
      150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

mzungu, yes the water was 8.1 before, then it dropped to 7.7. The fish are the juvi fronts i bought in Dallas. I know 8.1 is fine, but my tap water is currently saying 7.6 and when i do a water change i want to be able to atleast put new 8.1 water in.

Geoff, it is definately baking soda. There must have only been about 250ml of water, and in total i added 2-3 teaspoons.

Comment

Re: Trying to raise ph with baking soda, ph dropped?

What is in your tank to raise it from 8.1 from 7.6 at the tap?

Are you using just baking soda or are you using the "homemade cichlid buffer"?

Did you let it sit overnight? try letting a cup of tap water sit overnight to see where it ends up and a cup of buffered water overnight.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Brown,

In Pasadena the tap source ranges from 7.6-7.8 depending on the amount of rainfall and such.

I dose my tanks with Baking Soda to keep above 8.0, typically 8.2.  

I never seen it drop in pH unless my meter had a low battery.  You might want to change the battery in your meter and check again.
            380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
            300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
            180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
            150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Ek, the ph from my tap is normally 8.2. For some reason it was 7.6 yesterday.

Geoff the batteries are ok, theyre only a couple of weeks old and i hardly use the meter.

Im going to buy a different box of baking soda, maybe someones been using my baking soda for something else, and been replacing it with sugar.

Comment

Sounds like someone needs to do a taste test with their baking soda.
                Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
                Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
                Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Let us know, though, since it seems everything is out of whack over there! Has the tap's pH gone up yet?
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I let tap water sit overnight with baing soda in it and sure enough its now 8.2-8.3. Last night it was 7.6-7.7.

Comment

Probably have to mix/buffer your water overnight then before doing water changes......just to be on the safe side.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Why not use lime (CaO ) from a farm supply ? Limestone (CaCO3 ) is typically used to maintain an alkaline pH and it just seems to fit better with lime.

Comment

Working...
                        X