Soon to be Shellies Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soon to be Shellies Tank

Just set up my 29gal today ... I'm moving my sunspot Brevis pair in there ... Anyone has any suggestion on what else i can put in there that won't cause too much agression ? i'm thinking about other shelldweller species but still looking at my options ...

My name is Andri, and I'm an Ikoholic ! Back in the game !

Re: Soon to be Shellies Tank

Looks good!

You could probably add a second shellie sp. If you redo the rockpile to the center to break the line of sight and have the shell bed on either sides of it.

Or put the rockpile to one end and put some juli's in there to inhabit the rockpile if you brevis don't first.

Personally that's a small footprint to add much, probably better to add more females. Or you can do some sort of dither like tetras or something that stay mosty up top.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

From what i heard, Brevis are monogamous thats why i rather stick with the pair and want to add other species.

i'd love to throw some dither fish in there but preffer tanganyikan, what species would stay small and get pretty ?

Comment

Nice job on the Aquascaping bud, very nice.  I like those hyper "datnoids" I think they are called?

They would give some mid to upper range activity to your tank.

CF
        Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Oooh, I like it!! Don't know much about Tanganyikans, but I wanted to say it looks good!
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Datnoids will eat shellies when you are not looking....I think you mean Danios CF.

I don't think there is much upper level Tangs to choose from without conflicting somewhere.....the only things I can think of are cyps but they sleep on the ground and your tank is probably too small for them.

In my Multi's tank they have populated to the point where everyone is comfortable and the youngins actually swim all over the place. But they are colony shellies so everyone gets along great.

Another thing...be careful with shells that have lots of spirals or whatever you call the windings at the top cause the fish could get stuck in there when they dart for cover if the spiral is long and narrow.

Oh, and check out shelldwellers.com there might be some help over there as to what to put with your brevis.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

There is a nice article in Aquarium Fish this month on these little guys.  I didn't realize that they we so tedious of a fish to keep.  I am pondering setting up one of my 30 gallon tanks as a Shellie tank.  I have two of them, one is 30" and the other is 36".  Do any of the LFS carry a good selection of these little guys?

Comment

Ultimate fish
                Fish Gallery
                Fish Ranch....they have Lamprologus caudopunctatus which are awesome looking.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Fish ranch has a some variety of them. But I've been wanting some N. ocellatus or lamprologus stappersi for a while now, havn't had any luck finding one. Anyone seen them in houston ? or maybe Austin ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hanson77";p="
                    There is a nice article in Aquarium Fish this month on these little guys.  I didn't realize that they we so tedious of a fish to keep.  I am pondering setting up one of my 30 gallon tanks as a Shellie tank.  I have two of them, one is 30" and the other is 36".  Do any of the LFS carry a good selection of these little guys?
                    You should really consider doin it. I've not have much experience with then but i think they can be very interesting fish to keep with tons of personality. Wonder why so few seems to have interest in them shellies.

Comment

Wow, I'm going to look into these guys, I might just have to get some...
                      58G Malawis
                      10G planted

Comment

i have a multitude of shellies...they are multifasc. they are so cute....and they don't get very big...but boy do they like to reproduce.... ....
                        i might could part with a few of them....if anyone's interested in this species....

this is a link to what they look like....they have the bluest eyes i've ever seen on a little life form......

Comment

What kinda price we talkin for how many there fishlady.  I am pretty interested.

Comment

Originally posted by h0nkzz";p="
                            Fish ranch has a some variety of them. But I've been wanting some N. ocellatus or lamprologus stappersi for a while now, havn't had any luck finding one. Anyone seen them in houston ? or maybe Austin ?
                            We got 3 very small Ocellatus from Dave (from DRF) a week ago, and we are going over to SA in August, we could pick you up a few if you let us know before we go.

CF
                            Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Does Dave have a website to see what all he has???

Comment

Working...
                              X