Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disciplining my Fish..

Ok,

I've got some fish.. a couple of assorted Cichlids and my most recent purchase, a Koi Goldfish.

heres the deal, some of the Cichlids (all of them) have been picking on my Koi.. now, I believe it's all in how you were raised and if you spare the rod you spoil the child so... well.. Ok I'll cut right to the chase, when they would start picking on the Koi (I named him Kevin) well, I'd stick my tazer (personal saftey device) into the water and just do a quick zap.. you know, enough to get their attention.

This works, everything in the tank kinda spazzes for a second, then they go hide in the rocks for a bit but the problem is, I think it's hurting Kevin too.

I guess my question is, is there a way to localise the punishment so that Kevin is not wrongly punished? I feel bad that he must pay for the bad manners of others.. and well, what do you all do to maintain order in your tanks?
    Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's, Houstons premier fish club.

David Seratt
    Co-President of CAK

Re: Disciplining my Fish..

Solitary conefinement perhaps? You can subjugate those pesky cichlids to my tank...

I do my part in maintaining order by keeping the felons together... and the blue collar criminals together. Your koi plrobably got misplaced in with the felons...
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

I think I have found my solution, Solitary confinement.

I have some coffee cups, and when one of those "felons" yessssss, felons!

When one of the felons makes a move for Kevin.. well, I sploink the cup down apon him, and he is trapped on the bottom of the tank in "the hole" to think about what he has done. Will post updates as they come in =)

David Seratt
      Co-President of CAK

Comment

UPDATE!!!!

OMG, WHAT HAVE I DONE, WHAT HAVE I DONE!?!?!?!?

After sploinking my first Felon, the one called Horace. Well, I forgot the first rule of fish sploinking... release the air bubble from the cup.

Yes, I have commited Fishicide. I trapped my fish in an inverted coffee cup air bubble death trap and he paid the ultimate price.

I should have known, the cup was wiggling around voraciously for a few moments then.. just.. everything went still. I thought Horace had stopped to reflect apon his deeds. It was not until I removed the coffee cup and he floated there, upside down, fins hanging and x's for eyes that I realised the travesty I had commited.

Oh woe is me, what have I done, what have I done? =(

David Seratt
        Co-President of CAK

Comment

have you ever tried tazering yourself to see if it hurts,let me know how it comes out.

Comment

Mace it next time!

I usually just net them out and thump them....after that they usually straighten up.

Oh and being tazed isn't so bad a little tingle to set you straight.....a shotgun to the back of the head is way worse.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by jughead";p="
              have you ever tried tazering yourself to see if it hurts,let me know how it comes out.
              Perhaps Tazing is a bit much... What should I do that is stern enough to get the point across but not so light as to be ignored?

David Seratt
              Co-President of CAK

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa";p="
                Mace it next time!

I usually just net them out and thump them....after that they usually straighten up.

Oh and being tazed isn't so bad a little tingle to set you straight.....a shotgun to the back of the head is way worse.
                I'm told constant netting of a fish is bad for their slime coats, have you had any issues with this during frequent thumping episodes?

David Seratt
                Co-President of CAK

Comment

Have you tried to net them & give them a stern talking to yet.
                  Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
                  Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
                  Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Oh now thats just silly =)

David Seratt
                    Co-President of CAK

Comment

Put salt in the tank to to heal the wound but at the same time give it a little burn were you thumped it......constant reminder of the pain it recieves from being disobedient.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Does disciplining fish wiht a tazer actually work?  Its a fish's nature to defend its own territory.
                        Michael
                        Clear Lake, TX

Comment

Put salt in the tank to to heal the wound but at the same time give it a little burn were you thumped it......constant reminder of the pain it recieves from being disobedient.

You could also get a blunt stick and harpoon them with it.

When I'm really fed up I just net them into the toliet bowl and piss in it and let the ammonia linger before I flush it.
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by MJY6087";p="
                            Does disciplining fish wiht a tazer actually work?  Its a fish's nature to defend its own territory.
                            It's like dealing with gansters...... go to their territory and punk them and it can go two ways.....they get to the point were everyone walks all over them or they retaliate.
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Usually what I do is take out the hethen and sit him in the corner to think about what he has done. The damndest thing happened the last time I put my cichlid in time out. When i took him out of time out, he didnt look so good and all he wanted to do was float at the top of the tank.
                              Resident fish bum
                              330G FOWLR
                              34G Reef
                              330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                              28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                              Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Working...
                              X