Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural Algae Removal

[see bottom]

Since I have got my carbon system going my plants have been growing like crazy, unfortunately so has the algae.  I am wanting some plants that will grow quickly and cover some of the floor.  One site recommended hornswort, but the "frill" plants don't really grow too well in my aquarium.  I've tried java moss but I think I am using too much light for it to grow.  I wanted to ask to see if there is some good floor plants someone could recommend.  I am thinking some riccia would look nice and grow well.  Comments.

Re: Fast growing plants?

Both Riccia and Hornwort do not root, so you would have to employ other means to keep them on the bottom, like tying the plants to another object, weighting them down, etc.

What CO2 system are you using?

What do you mean by floor plants? Plants that stay short and send out runners?

If I had to just name a few fast growing plants, I would say Anacharis, Wisteria, Vallisneria, (Java Moss and Hornwort).  Lots of stem plants will grow quickly, also.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

How is your tap water(if that's what you are using)?
      Do you feed a lot?
      How is your bio-load?
      Lighting Period (including direct sunlight)?
      Hows your dosing?

You could easily fix the problem before trying to "band-aid" it with fast growing plants.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I am using a DIY C02, previously with an air stone but since I hooked it up to a powerhead last week, it is actually diffusing the carbon now.

My tap water runs about pH7.8, 140 on the hardness.  I sometimes add a small dose of pH down during water changes to keep my water at the 6.6-7.0 pH range that it normally runs at.

I do feed probably a bit too often, twice a day.  In my 35 gallon I have 5 small angels, 7 cories, 4 tetra, and 4 danios.  

No direct sunlight, and I have the lights timed to 7 hours per day.  It seems I use quite a bit of light, using a 6700k and a 10000k bulb.  Plants like the Amazon Sword and micro sword love it but as said the javamoss just turns yellow and never grows unless it falls in a dark corner.

I usually try to change the water every other week at least, sometimes every week.  Right now I am behind.  I use leaf zone and started dosing that about 3 weeks ago recharging every week as the label calls for.

I am pretty sure I can take care of the algae with a water change and maybe turning off one of my lights for a few days, but the plants I want aren't because of the algae, although they should help.  My tank has anacharis and vallisneria (I think), but like the anacharis grows up in a stalk and I have the taller plants and I am wanting more of a foreground plant (althought if it grows tall that would be fine).  Just something that grows thick and likes alot of light.  I found a good resource for reading:

I just wanted to see what kinds of plants you like and thinks looks good.
        Also if anyone has plants to sell I would be interested.

Comment

What light fixture are you using? How much wattage is the unit?

I would cut back on the feedings to once a day at the amount you are feeding and start doing once a week water changes if you are dosing the tank. Recharging is not recharging when you don't do water changes it is actually dumping more on top.

Don't use the pH down stuff anymore....those things are more harm then good.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Java Moss in my tank is OK under ~3wpg
            Your link says Java Moss "may dislike salt" => did you add any salt to this tank (think there was a thread about salt in tanks)

Comment

Informations about aquatic moss, aquarium moss, Vesicularia dubyana. Cultivation of Java Moss, Christmas Moss. This site provides all information about the cultivation of the different aquatic moss, aquarium moss, available to all hobbyist in order to create a nature aquarium.

'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Re: Natural Algae Removal

I found this online that recommends using straw to naturally get rid of algae:

"Control Algae ...Naturally...

....blah blah blah, don't use a Pleco.....

Adding straw to ponds and lakes has been widely used to stop excessive algae growth in ponds and streams. It works by releasing lignins into the water, which then decay into humic acids and other humic substances. Sunlight then changes these into peroxides, which stop the reproduction of algae. This can save a tank from an algae bloom, which could rapidly deoxygenate the water. It also keeps the tank quite a bit more attractive.

Application is very simple. Just drop of few small stalks of barely into the tank and let them decay. A little under an inch of stalk per gallon is a good guideline. Allow this to decay in the tank and it will start to inhibit algae growth in under a month. It only needs to be re-applied every few months, up to 6 if a lot is used. When algae starts to re-grow in large amounts, it's time to add more.

Alternatives to barley are wheat, linseed, oil seed rape, lavender stalks and maize. These aren't as effective, and more should be added to the tank than barley would.
                Has anyone done this?

Comment

re: Straw...I've read about using barley straw to help get rid of blanketweed algae (forget the proper name) in ponds, and have used the extract of barley straw myself when I had a pond.  Can't imagine using it in aquarium, though.
                  MY MANTRA: Yes, I CAN have too many fishtanks!

Comment

Cut back on the nutrient/ferts to better match the co2 and find a better balance for the uptake of the plants in the tank.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Florishem Excel did a good job getting rid of most of my algae, and all the hair algae has turned red and looks like it is dieing off.  Only problem being that it made the anacharis in my tank weak.  I've uped the light now that I am using liquid C02 hoping it will balance out.

Comment

PH down can be a huge phosphate load, if is it sodium biphosphate. May lead to black hair algae (looks like a man's leg hair, coarse and sort of curly). Label on mine says to use 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons but I used like 1/16 teaspoon to dose 29 gallons to proper phosphate level for a planted tank.

Black brush algae is shorter, denser, like a corduroy fabric. Turns red when it dies. formations is due to low CO2 levels. Once it turns red, shrimp will eat it. Sounds like you have black brush algae. Once you get the CO2 right, it will slowly go away. Excell is good too but can get expensive in the long run. You really want to get a pressurized system on that size tank, or start running two jugs or a bigger jug (1 gallon size) and changing out more frequently.

Comment

Working...
                        X