African Cichlid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• African Cichlid question

Here is my question that I pose to everyone to see if they can help me answer it. I am fairly new to aquariums as a hobby and trying to learn as much as I can I have had tanks since I was a kid, but have really gotten into Cichlids lately. Here is my question, there are many different types of cichlids from Lake Malawi for example Johannii's and Aulonocara's however there temperments are extremley different. I have gotten the two to coexist so far in my tank, but I am unsure about why they are so different if they are from the same system. If I were to go and buy a fish at a LFS most will say you should be able to keep Africans together. It is working but I worry about the longevity of the Sunshine if I keep them with the Johannii. I am thinking about getting another tank to have peaceful ones together (Or using that excuse to buy another tank   ) when I get more cash to start up another. Tell me what you guys know and think.

Thanks

Brian
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Re: African Cichlid question

I am in no way an expert but I used to keep Aulonocara's and I had one Johannii in there with no problems.  I had about 20 of the aulonocaras (those buggers are breeding machines).  I believe it is the mbunas that are the more aggressive africans and the aulonocaras are pretty docile.  How many Johannii do you have?  I'm sure others will jump in with more help soon.
    58G Malawis
    10G planted

Comment

Sproett has the right idea. Mbuna are more aggressive than peacocks as a whole. While both do come from lake Malawi, they occupy different territories. Mbuna are more of a rock dwelling species whereas Peacocks swim more in the open water. They can certainly stay in the same aquarium... as long as the aquarium is large enough. How big is the tank that they are in currently? Africans, particularly mbuna,  are pretty territorial - and if there is not enough room for the cichlids to establish their territories then they can become quite quarrelsome. I've sucessfully kept mbuna in with peacocks for several years in an 80 gallon tank before I moved. Hope this helps.
      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

I have possibly 2 Johannii's, I say possibly because I have one that I can not figure out what kind of fish it is but it looks stickingly like a maturing female. I also have 2 Sunshines that I got at the auction along with a few other fish in a 55G. So you are telling me I need a bigger tank? :wink:
        Resident fish bum
        330G FOWLR
        34G Reef
        Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

You always need a bigger tank and more tanks!

Honestly, I think you'll be okay for a while. I wouldn't look into adding any more fish though.
          Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Comment

Ok I will tell Soni that we need another tank and arm says so. I think that should work right?
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Actually, I just finished looking at the pictures in your Photo Gallery. I would think about Moving the Jack Dempsey and convict at some point.

This is just my personal experience and everyone has had different experiences. M. Auratus males can be hyper-aggressive and have killed entire tanks of clients of mine. As long as the coloration of yours stays the same (female coloration), you'll probably be okay. But if it changes colors, I would find a new home for him. Here is a pic of a male:

Comment

Unfortunately my Auratus died of fungus I think a week or 2 ago. My Black convict and Dempsey seem to be in check by my Blueberry and they dont really pick on anyone other than themselves. Though that might change as they get older. The Johannii's actually pick on them and both Johannii's are half the size.
                Resident fish bum
                330G FOWLR
                34G Reef
                Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

As long as I get another tank too!!!

Comment

I do not mean to jump into the thread but the question I have might fit here. I am also new to this. My question what is the difference between an OB and mbuna?
                    200 Gallon - Dragon Blood, Red Empress, Compressiceps, Venustus
                    55 Gallon - Female peacocks
                    40 Gallon - Red Empress/Dragon Blood Juvies
                    20 Gallon - ER

Comment

Illicit-

There is an OB peacock and an OB zebra. The first is not a mbuna, the second is. Hope this helps. OB - or orange blotch is a man made species if memory serves me correctly.

Nana4d sebuah agen toto slot yang sudah dikenal sejak lama di indonesia karena kemenangan jutaan rupiah pasti dibayar full dan syarat ketentuan berlaku hanya dengan bermodalkan minimal deposit 10ribu

Comment

ob zebra-naturally occuring
                        ob peacock-not

Comment

thanks!

Comment

It's starting to come together, thnks...
                            200 Gallon - Dragon Blood, Red Empress, Compressiceps, Venustus
                            55 Gallon - Female peacocks
                            40 Gallon - Red Empress/Dragon Blood Juvies
                            20 Gallon - ER

Comment

Originally posted by Soni";p="
                              As long as I get another tank too!!!
                              :dance:

If only that is what my girlfriend would say....

How many tanks are the two or you up to now?

Comment

Working...
                              X