• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do yall think????

I was looking for a light and went to ebay and found this one>>>>

T6 HO Ebay

I want the light for plants as well for better look to my aquarium

Should I change the bulbs or are they fine the way they are?
    Like for example some neon tetras and so on are they the right lights?

Re: What do yall think????

First off what are you wanting to acclomplish, grow?

By the length I am guessing you either have a 55g or 75g. For the later it would support low light plants at best like moss, ferns and anubias. The 12000k might be a bit worthless to you and I'm guessing the "plant/color" bulb is in the woods of 9325k which is decent but I would prefer both being those then the 12000k.

Email the seller to see what actual Kelvin rating it is though to be sure.

For a 75g I would probably run two of those fixtures maybe even three and the t6 is not going to be anywhere near as good as t5's which would have more output and more actual light being reflected into the tank.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Actually, if it's possible, find all the info you can about these bulbs. I have the hardest time finding specific information about Odyssea products, which is why I don't buy them more often!
      I'm not sure, but does this fixture have a reflector? I've been looking around lately about lights, and haven't found much in the way of T6s, being newer, but they seem really cool! However, I've heard that they can fit into a regular T8/T12 fixture, AND that they fit into a T5 fixture...kind of conflicting info, I think.

Anyways, it seems the seller is in Houston, so I would try to contact them or try to get info about the bulbs included in the fixture. Just to decide if it's worth it to buy this one, especially if the specs on the bulbs aren't what you want.
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I looked it up and it is in fact 9325k bulb and a 12000k bulb. They should work out decent but me, I like it a bit warmer...8000k or less for planted tank.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Where did you find that info, ek?

Comment

Well I decided to buy the thing will tell you guys how it is.

Comment

Lots of googling mzungu, the " color enhancer" comes up as 9325k which is a really nice bulb for yellow/red fish.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thanks, ek.
                Yes, please tell us what you think of the lights!

Comment

I get pretty lost on lights, too. I wanted a stronger lighting for my 150 which is one of those 4' long, 32" deep ones. It seems hard for the light I have (an All-Glass fixture with 3-T8 bulbs, plus an extra fixture with one T5 perched behind it) to get down to the botton and grown anything. So far, I've grown the heck out of Jungle Val, but not much else. And of course, the Jungle Val shades the bottom, too, but ...it's the only tall plant I could grow.  
                  So, I orderd the Odyssea 48" compact fl. light fixture that has 4 -65 watt bulbs in it.  Seems like plenty of wattage, but it came with 2 actinic bulbs, which I will take out and replace with daylight, and two 65 watt in the 12000 K, which are probably going to be too strong. Too bad you can never seem to order these things with the bulbs you want. I really want to be able to grow more plants in this tank, but am already regretting that I'll have to give up the 'gro-lux' or pinkish lights, as I've always loved the way they enhance red and orange fish.  I wonder why they haven't been able to come up with a compact florescent bulb that has more red tones? I've only ever seen tiny ones for sale.
                  So, you think I should replace all the bulbs in this fixture with 6700-1000K ones?   Sorry this is so much meandering...

Polly
                  MY MANTRA: Yes, I CAN have too many fishtanks!

Comment

I think that would be a good idea. If there is any way you can keep your Gro-Lux bulbs, that would be a plus, as well, for I hear those are pretty good plant bulbs.

If money's an issue, then I would replace the actinics first, as these won't do much for plant growth. Neither will the 12000ks, but I think the actinics are worse.

Are the Gro-Lux bulbs T8 or T5? I just (hours ago) found what looks to be a really great plant light in a T5, by AquaMedic, it's called the Planta bulb. It's got peaks in both the red and blue spectra, not a lot of green, and looks as though it would yield that pinkish hue.

And I agree, it is very frustrating that PC bulbs don't seem to have very much in the way of plant specific characteristics!

Comment

All the fixtures I have on the big tank use T8 bulbs, but I do have a 36" two bulb T5. Don't remember what brand of 'pink' bulbs is has in it right now, but when they're done for, I'll have a look for the Aquamedic ones.  I don't think I'll have room for both fixtures on the 150. I was trying to get away from needing two, anyway.  I have a pretty good collection of actinic bulbs I've taken out of assorted fixtures and stuck in the closet. Anyone wants me to see what sizes are there, let me know.  :)
                      MY MANTRA: Yes, I CAN have too many fishtanks!

Comment

WoW 8O Yes worth the price will now have to wait for the results "Of the plant bulb"

But also bought the Arctic Blue Bulb which really looks nice!!!!!!  

Will try to post some pics soon of the planted 55G TANK

Comment

Well  need some help on putting the pics of the tank????
                          Any suggestions?

Comment

load pictures from camera to computer.
                            resize using MS paint (I think photobucket.com does it for you)
                            start account at photobucket.com
                            upload pictures from computer onto photobucket..(think you can set the size you want them to upload)
                            copy/paste the IMG code into your reply
                            submit reply.

The Actinic bulbs are worthless when it comes to plants and I think it helps algae growth but I have no scientific proof just when I use it a bloom of algae occurs. With the "pink" bulbs....I have found that 9325k enhances yellows and reds but they are only offered in 55w 22" but I plan to find out if it can be used in the 4x65w light fixture cause I am picking one up this weekend for my tank.
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Totally agree with you ek the blue bulbs are worthless  It sure does make algae I think you can see some in the pics I will try to post. I had the blue bulb on for a while and changed it to the pink one WoW it work only about a week with it and started to see difference.

Thanks for the help!!!

Hope to get some pointers from you once I put the pictures here...

Comment

Working...
                              X