Potassium Permanganate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potassium Permanganate

Does anyone know were I can some Potassium Permanganate in the Houston area.
    Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
    Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
    Coming soon Daphnia

Re: Potassium Permanganate

I found 25 sources when I searched Ebay

check out our local fish stores on the houston map - they have phone numbers.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I have more than I'll ever use.  If I'd known you needed some you could have taken some with you yesterday   .  I'll bring some to the auction if I can find it in time.

Edit: Found it!

But generally speaking you can find it at hardware store in the water softener area or sometimes Sears has it.  
      I did order mine on line as the Home Depot, Lowes and Sears near me never seems to have any.
      Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

I think you can do better than my source for chemicals but thought you might have fun exploring their stuff.  http://www.boatcycle.com/shop.php?catID=13  They are a Texas based aquaculture seller.  They have a nice catalog.  I have gotten a few things from them.  I have used almost half of my fifty pond bag of Sodium Thiosulfate  (Declor) over 8 years.  They have fast shipping.  In a pond you have to be carful with the  Potassium Permanganate.  It really lowers the disolved oxygen in the pond quickly.  I assume the same is true in aquaria.  One trick is to keep some Hydrogen peroxide on hand.  If the fish are looking like they need more oxygen poor the hydrogen peroxide in the pond/tank and you can reverse some of the effect of the Potassium Permanganate.  Here is Eric Johnsons way to use it in a pond setting

He suggests getting it from PondRx.com
        Dan
        Dan

Comment

Forget shipping, go to Sears Hardware (not at the mall locations, the separate site locations) and look in the water heater department.

Small jar is about $5 or thereabouts.

Comment

Thanks everyone for their replies.

Nancy was very kind & giving me more than I can use in a year.
            Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
            Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
            Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Working...
            X