Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fish on bottom of tank, constipated?...,dead...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish on bottom of tank, constipated?...,dead...

I believe one of my male guppies is sick.  

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

If you would be so kind I just uploaded a picture to my photo album of what the guppy looks like [link above].  It is a drawing cause getting a photo would be impossible.  The brown area is where it looks like rot.  This fish has a very long Y shaped tail fin and there has always been a little bit of that greyness on just the tip.  The red in the gills is actually where the gills just look open and large, possibly redness on the edges.  This is my alpha male guppy and I really want to keep it alive.  I noticed something was wrong cause he was just sitting on the bottom of the tank hardly moving.  He is also breathing slightly rapidly and wasn't interested in eating.

I've already treated my tank for fin rot with the indian bay leaf,....pimafix that I used for the body fungus, and removed the carbon filter.  I also added two tablespoons of salt to the 20 gallon, all guppy tank.  If someone could tell me that this is fin rot or something else, I could empty my one gallon nursery into the maintank and give a strong dose to just the male in it. Is there any other chemicals here that would help?

Update, he is just sitting on the gravel.  I think he is too tired to swim around.  I am going to shut off the air pump and hopefully he can rest.

Re: Is this a potentially deadly outbreak of fin rot?

I did a water test and everything is normal.

NO3 2.0
    NO2 3.0
    GH 75
    CL 0
    Alk 120
    pH 7.2

Comment

Re: Not fin rot,...but constipation?

I change my mind to this.  I will isolate him:

Indigestion/Constipation    
      Symptoms include:
      Resting on the bottom of the tank is the clear identifier. Although some swelling may occur of the belly, make certain scales aren't protruding.
      Treatment:
      This is a very serious condition that calls for immediate attention. Isolate the fish, wether into a seperate tank or into a breeder tank. Some suggests treating with one TEASPOON EPSOM SALT not aquarium salt nor table salt as these salts won't relieve the internal pressure. Many people solve this issue with starvation treatment. Keep fish isolated and DO NOT feed for three days. (The fish will survive without food!) Know that something isn't agreeing with the guppy concerning food fed to it. Determine what has been fed to them and don't feed the particular fish that food again. This may even occur with over-feeding the fish. So, if nothing out of the ordinary had been fed to the fish in the past week, you'll need to decrease the amount of food being fed to your fish. Feeding additional food to the fish in the first three days of onset will only add to the current blockage in the fish. After 3 days, if fish has not "pooped", try to feed a very small amount of baby brine shrimp and check for additional bloating. If the fish has "pooped" within the 3 day period, feed the fish only baby brine shrimp for the next 2 days and supplement with a frozen, defrosted, skinned, and mashed green pea.

Comment

1 gallon tank with 1 tsp epsom salt.  Hope this works....I will give him 3 days and then put him with the cories and tetra,...if he poops.

Comment

Re: Fish on bottom of tank, constipated?...

He never made it.  I am done with guppies.  There will be young ones, but I have a male red and two females that should go.  If you would like some guppies I would be glad to give them to you on Sunday.  No cost, I just would like them to have a nice home.

I really don't care what  I paid for him,.  It saddens me I could not save him      

My number is 8324343573, I no longer want tropial guppies. Anyone who is currently keeping them; I would like my fish to go to a good home.  I only have one male red left and 3 gravid and one non-gravid female.  It really is my fault for over feeding.  in the future I will feed less.      

I an sure there will be beautiful guppies on Sunday,...I do not thing I am skilled enough to keep them.....

Comment

Re: Fish on bottom of tank, constipated?...,dead...

If you like guppies don't give up on them.  I'm sure there will be some really nice ones at the auction and at least one guppy expert will be there as well.  If you've never met him, just ask around for guppymax and he'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.  I've never had a problem with any fish I've gotten at the auction, maybe it's just the source you've been using.  

Sorry for putting you on the spot Max, but you're always so helpful  
            Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Originally posted by djmatthewblack";p="
              I did a water test and everything is normal.

NO3 2.0
              NO2 3.0
              GH 75
              CL 0
              Alk 120
              pH 7.2
              If you still have NO2, then everything isn't normal. In a cycled tank, there shouldn't be any nitrite.

I'm very sorry about your guppy.  :(  But like szidlon said, don't give up! He was probably having so much trouble (rapid breathing, etc.) because of the nitrite in the tank.
              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

It is a new tank and I am about to change the water in a day or two.  I also need to get some carbon filtration in there, and since I can't buy a cartridge for the plen plax filter box I am going to have to make one.  I blame myself cause I have been really bad about overfeeding.  This is a lesson for me not to do that.  I still have 4 females (3 are gravid) and the male.  But no, I don't think I will be buying any more.  There has been too many disasters for me and I would prefer not to keep them anymore.

Comment

Try endlers or platies, they are a little more durable.
                  It never hurts to have a few scavengers / bottom feeders.
                  'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                  He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Working...
                  X