25 year old Metaframe Tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 year old Metaframe Tanks

I have a couple of those old metal framed tanks that I think I purchased in the late 70's.  I was thinking of using them again.  They have not been used for at least 10 years.  They are 15 and 20 gallon tanks.  Are these likely to hold water after all these years?  If I fill them with water and they do not leak right away, how long should I leave them setup before I can be fairly sure they are still in good condition?

Re: 25 year old Metaframe Tanks

I don't have a definite answer, but whenever I've checked new (old) tanks for leaks, I sit them out for at least a few days, and check the water level every so often. If you have some sort of cover for the tank, that might be good to use to prevent evaporation, so if the water level lowers you can attribute it to a leak and not evaporation.

I know a few members on here have these tanks, so they'll be able to tell you a lot more. But I'm envious, they'll be very cool if you set them up!
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

If you would like to sell any let me know.

But if you want to use them I would re-seal them just in case and then test them.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I would venture to say, that most items made back in the sixties and seventies where made during an era where folks cared very much about the quality of their work, not that they don't these days, but my point would be that I believe that your tanks have a very good chance of being as good today as they where 30 years ago.

The only thing I would suspect is the silicon. The tanks may need to be resealed, especially if they have been sitting around dry for a number of years??  Inspect the tanks carefully, looking for any signs of small cracks or large chips in the glass, after being stored or sitting around for any length of time.

If all looks good....

Set them up somewhere safe and fill them half way, check the tanks over real good and let them sit a while, if no leaks or water is present around any of the corners or edge's, fill the tanks to the top, and repeat the inspection process again. After 48 hours of sitting full, I would feel fairly safe about using them again.

Good Luck

CF
        Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

i would like to see a picture of these tanks???....my mother had a fish shop when i was a kid....she had tanks like that....i loved watching her fish as a kid...bet she's watching mine now from somewhere up there....

post pics please....

Comment

Thanks all for the comments.

I might be willing to sell one of them. Not sure what is a fair price.  Most likely the 20 gallon high.  The 15 gallon was the first tank I ever purchased and I think I should hold onto it.  It must be from the early 1970's.  I suspect I have a 10 gallon one that needs one glass panel replaced still in my parents attic.  The more modern tanks just do not have the same charm.

Comment

Yes, I too have some of my old "Metaframe" tanks from the 60's
              Stainless Steel frame, and black tar like substqance.
              Got my first all glass tank in 1971......

The big problem is that if they have been out of service for a long period of time the (tar like) substance dries out and cracks like mud flats during a drought.

If you are lucky, you can fill them up with HOT water and the sealant will become soft and reseal the tank.   I also have a heat gun like a super hair dryer, it puts out a lot of very hot air to shrink insulation on electrical wiring.  It works well on a single point of leak or softning the sealant prior to removing a broken panel.  (you have to remove the bottom before you can replace any of the side panels.)

If you can't get the old sealant to reseal, then a large beed of black silicone along all the edges usually does the job quickly and easily.
              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I remember reading an article about restoring these in one of my fish magazines not too terribly long ago. If it comes down to this let me know and I will try to look it up and you should be able to get a back issue from the publisher.
                Brian

Comment

That article might be a good read or reference for the future.  Funny thing is that many of the fish books I have from when I first got fish have articles on resealing these tanks and replacing broken glass.  I recently sold our 1950 truck and the word restoring has a bit of a bitter taste still.

Comment

If you set them in your garage, the rate of evaporation will be equal to another open topped container (i.e. bucket).

If you wanted to see if it leaks, and want to rule out evaporation, put a bucket of water next to it, and compare the water level loss between the two, it should be equal.
                    Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's, Houstons premier fish club.

David Seratt
                    Co-President of CAK

Comment

I would say it in not worth thinking about ; clean and dry the interior corners and caulk with silicone. It is cheap and easy and nearly fool proof.
                      The black window putty (linseed oil+ calcium carbonate +carbon black + ?) should leak if not repaired. If you need to replace a glass get old style (linseed oil) window putty and stiffen it up with diatomcious(?) earth or some other fine powder. Then caulk inside with silicone.

Comment

Any updates on the tanks?
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I was going through boxes of junk from the attic of my previous house and I found a SS Hood for my 5g tank.....
                          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

A little irony : While visiting my son, I saw a stainless frame 15 he was not using ,I thought it was one I had bought in the early 50's. When I got it home I noticed the name "Pemco" stamped on the SS. This tank has a frosted glass bottom , I think my tanks had slate bottoms.
                            Can anyone guess if "Pemco" sold tanks in the Chicago area in the 50's ? I don't remember any names in the steel tanks.

Comment

My tanks were from the Houston/Galveston area and on the outside of the frame on the bottom right corner is an elipse around the name Metaframe.

Metaframe Corporation also purchased West Coast Operations, which was the parent company for Pemco Manufacturing in Los Angeles who made aquariums and San Francisco Fish Farms in 1968.

San Francisco Bay Brand

Comment

Working...
                              X