New Tank!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tank!

I am starting my first tank and I would like it to be a planted tank. Any suggestions on the types of plants I should start out with? How many plants can I have in a 42 Hex if there is a limit? Are there certain plants that are high maintenance? I also wanted to buy angels and was wondering what other types of low agressive fish go well with them? Anything will help...thank you!

New Tank!

I am starting my first tank and I would like it to be a planted tank. Any suggestions on the types of plants I should start out with? How many plants can I have in a 42 Hex if there is a limit? Are there certain plants that are high maintenance? I also wanted to buy angels and was wondering what other types of low agressive fish go well with them and the plants? Anything will help...thank you!

Comment

Re: New Tank!

First of all, welcome to the box. Forgive me for making this seem like a million questions, but...

Are you planning on keeping fish in with the plants? If so, what type? What type of lights are you going to have? Any planns on CO2? What type of substrate?...

I'd look around online and see if there is something close to what you want in a picture... or just thumb through the picture gallery here. Perhaps that will help narrow it down.

Yes, there are certain plants that are high maintanence. You'll usually be able to tell which ones they are because they are cost prohibitive.
      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

First things first - Is your tank a 42 hex? Do you happen to know the dimensions?

Planted tanks are great, and I'm glad you're starting with one!    There are two ways you can go about this...
        1) buy equipment and choose plants that will do well in those conditions
        or
        2) Choose plants or plant requirements (i.e. if you like high light plants more than low light, etc.) and buy your equipment accordingly.

So, what exactly do you have right now?

EDIT - Sorry, must have been typing while you were posting, arm!
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Mzungu,It's good to know that we asked pretty much the same questions... just in different ways.

:wink:
          Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Comment

Yes, I do plan on having fish. I would like to have angels. I would like to know other types of fish that go well with angels and plants.

I just have regular lights right now, I have biological soil from Fish Gallery and my substrate is about quarter to an inch thick...do i need more?

I am sorry, I do not know the deminsions... I can check when I get home if it makes a big deal.

What do you mean by plans with CO2??-im sorry im new to this  :)

I was reading through some posts, and I am really interested in having some plants that do have red color....just so it wont be all green. Do you need to trim most plants??

Comment

All plants grow, and since your tank will not, the plants will need to be trimmed in one way or another. Some plants grow rapidly and will need to be trimmed relatively frequently whereas others can grow slowly.

You will probably want to think about changing out you lights, no matter what else you decide to do...

CO2, or Carbon dioxide, helps plants grow. Some people injects small amounts of carbon dioxide into their tanks to help the plants grow faster and healthier.

Eklikewhoa, another member here, detailed his setup of a planted tank:
              HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

This is just my opinion, but you'll probably want to have the substrate a bit deeper than that. I'd shoot for somewhere around 2 inches.

Here are a couple other places that may help:
              Aquaticplantcentral.com
              Plantedtank.net

Comment

Thanks for the advise Arm!! Ill check out those sites!

Comment

Those are great sites, I agree.  :)

The dimensions don't matter too much, just as long as it's not some weird version of a 42 hex...Am I safe to assume it's like this one?

A hex tank is most likely taller than a "normal" tank. That's great for angels, but it usually means that you're going to have to spend a bit more on lights so that they can actually reach the plants. For a planted tank, you're going to want more than 1 watt/per/gallon (wpg), and if you still have the fluorescent stock light, it's only 15 watts or so. That means you have less than 0.5 wpg. Usually above 2 wpg is recommended, and high light tanks can be much, much more!

And I agree, I'd go with 2-3" of substrate. What is "biological soil?"
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I don't know much about plants but I think it'll depend on what wattage of lighting you have.  You might want to post it so you can get a more tailored response.
                    As for fish, german rams or other similar dwarf cichlids work well.  Tetras big enough not to fit in the angel's mouth work too.  Stay away from any that are known to nip fins.  There are some angel experts on here and I'm sure they'll jump in with some answers soon.
                    Have fun choosing your fish!  That's always my favorite part.
                    58G Malawis
                    10G planted

Comment

i'm new to planted tanks too....but it really depends on if your going to go all out and put co2 on the tank.....brighter lights.....some plants you can grow with no co2 or brighter lights....i have a 29 that has the standard light on it....and no co2....and it's doing very well....i have guppies and tetra's in there  along with an elephant nose..and some algae eaters....i have just started a  75 and i am putting co2 on this one....just got the co2 tank and will have all that on there soon.....i have pictures of it in the photo gallery if you'd like to see it.....but i can tell you this much...there are alot of very smart people on here that can surely lead the way for you on planted tanks.....and they are nice too.....i have met some and hope to meet more soon.....so welcome and from one newbie planter to another....good luck

fishlady

Comment

If this is going to be your first tank i could recommend some pants like Echinodorous, Cryptocoryne, Anubias and Java fern. These plants are hardy and easy to grow in low light without CO2. But adding Co2 along with good lights can really get your plants going.
                        Checkout my blog AquaMusing
                        sigpic

Comment

I've always liked to keep swordtails and gouramii (surface feeders) with the angels (middle feeders) and you will need some catfish (bottom feeders)  I prefer corries but you may want clown loaches as they eat snails that would eat your plants.

You can get by without as much artificial light if you locate your tank near a window and let the sun shine in.  
                          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Welcome to the Box!

The window suggestion is a good one but some things to consider with that.....
                            -It will be harder to control the amount of light along with the duration of the light getting into the tank....too much light contributes to algae.
                            -Consistency will become a problem now that we are upon the rainy seasons which sometimes we go days without much sun.
                            -Heat, if you don't have a/c running all the time the sun could cause problems making the tank too warm.

How much maintenance are you wanting to do on the tank?
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thanks all for the great advise!!! It has been a really big help. I started adding decor and more substrate. Plus my bf gave me his two live plants from his tank for now.

I am still going to go buy more plants at the store this week before the big auction. Hopefully I can get some great angels there!!

The tank is near the living room windows but far enough to where the sun will not over heat the tank. I think ima go for the low to moderate light plants.

Does anybody know what kind of plants or moss that grows on the drift wood?? I saw alot of pics and also at the aquarium stores.

I posted up some pics so far.  Keep yall posted and give me advise on anything you see wrong with the set up.  Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                              X