Any ponders here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ponders here?

I have had aquariums since the early 1970s.  Had a short attempt at a reef tank in the late 1990s.  The last 18 or so years my interests in fish has mainly been in koi and water gardening.  I edited the Lone Star Koi Club newsletter for about 7 years.  You can see some older pictures of my ponds at: http://new.photos.yahoo.com/koiboyko...60762337737164  I always have plenty of pond plants available for trades.  I have tons of anacharis (can offer it by the trashbag full),  gambusia (mosquito fish), bullfrog tadpoles.  a few water lilies, lots of bog and pond plants (drawf paparus, dwarf umbrella palm, water clover, taro, weedelia.  We are in the Spring/Champions area.
    Dan Robinson

Re: Any ponders here?

Howdy Dan,

I'm in the middle of installing a small prefab pond at this time. I ran into a snag while diggin my hole for the pond though, seems I was unlucky enough to chose a spot over an old pine tree stump. I've been chopping and chippin, and working that stump down slowly but surely. If the rain ever lets up and my hole dries up again, I'll be back at it and hopefully will finally get this pond in the gound.  I looked at your pics, that's a very beautiful koi pond you have, and a very nice waterfall too. I plan to incorpate a small waterfall for my pond as well. I'll look you up for advice and suggestions when I finally get the liner in the ground.

Anyway, nice to meet you and welcome to the box.

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

My koi pond was dug with a backhoe.  The best $400 I ever spent.  The lily pond only extends a few inches into the ground.  If I had it to do over those few inches would also be above ground.  I was amazed how big a root could live only inches underground.
      Dan

Comment

That is a nice pond you've got!  I've got a small prefab one that my koi and goldfish have certainly outgrown.  I love hand feeding the fish, they've got such personalities.  I wish I could have one pond for fish and one for plants - it's always a battle with the koi and the lilies!
        The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
        Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

Welcome to HFB!

What exactly is the water clover you're referring to? Is it marsilea, or another kind of plant?
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

welcome to the box....i'm hoping that cichlidfan and i get that pond done soon at our house....

Comment

What exactly is the water clover you're referring to? Is it marsilea, or another kind of plant?[/quote]

Yes it is a marisilea species.  I think there is a photo in the link in my original post.  I have it growing in a large bowl beside my koi pond.  
              It can become an invasive plant in a pond.  It is best left in a confined container or in its own planter.

Comment

That first pic is breathtaking.  Looks really natural and really big!  How big is that thing looks like a swimming pool.
                180 gallon RR wild discus, harlequins, congos, rainbow, pleco, cardinals, rummynose, rcs, and amanos.  2260 eheim pressurize co2 4x54 tek lights

Comment

Working...
                X