filter media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filter media

does anyone know where i can get large quantity of sponge / scrubs for cheap to go into my wet/dry ... i'm looking for what i think is nylon sponge thats Blue on one side and white on the other ... or is there any alternative that i may be able to use ?
    My name is Andri, and I'm an Ikoholic ! Back in the game !

Re: filter media

I found a pad that is a little thicker then the blue bonded stuff but also a little more coarse but I forgot where I got it from and been trying to remember for the longest now.

I'm pretty sure one of the LFS would sell you a roll if you talk to them.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

yea i've seen that blue stuff lots of time ... but can't recall where i see it ...
      do you think it's ok to use polyester padding instead of nylon ?

Comment

Like pillow stuffing? you can use it as long as it is not flame retardant or has mold/mildew inhibitors.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

its flame retartdant ... why we can't use flame retardant ?

Comment

Get a bag of Poly-Fil batting from walmart in the sewing section. That's what I use as filter material in my sumps. It's cheap, you can stuff as much or as little as you want/need, and o yeah, did I mention it's CHEAP! This is good for pre filtration only. Continue to use your bio media for the bio portion. For water polishing you can use car wash sponges, sold again at walmart for $1, these are the dog bone shaped sponges that are roughly 8"x4"x3", place these below the water line between the drip pan and the return pump. They are pourous enough to allow easy water flow, yet they will trap the smaller particles and remove them from the return water, also giving you that added bit of bio filtration in the process.
            Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Scott you have picture of what the Poly-Fil batting look like ? i was at walmart as there r so many of them .

Comment

I agree with Scott! CHEAP is good.

max

Comment

It was either flame retardant or allergenic or maybe even both.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

This stuff works just fine.

Ok, I can't get this friggin link to work. It's the quilt and pillow batting in the blue or green bag, either is fine.
                    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Originally posted by h0nkzz";p="
                      its flame retartdant ... why we can't use flame retardant ?

Sorry, I was quoting this...
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Is this the one, Scott?

I think flame retardant kinds and the like are not suitable because they are coated with chemicals that would be harmful to your fishes.
                        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Thats the stuff, I rinse mine to remove anything that it may have picked up along the way and that's it. The stuff I have is fire retardent and mold resistent. I think thats more from the materiel itself than any treatment that it recieves. I have used it for over a year now with no ill effects, so I wouldn't be to concerned over it. Just rinse it before you use it and it will be fine.

Comment

I figure it's easier being safer then sorry so I don't use anything like that.....

but if you have been using it Scott with no problems I guess that says that....wonder if you could use silicone with mold inhibitors...
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

In your local Home Improvement Store, check out the A/C filter section
                              they usually carry a cut to fit sheet of foam for those odd size filters.
                              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Working...
                              X