2262 Eheim versus 2260 Eheim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2262 Eheim versus 2260 Eheim

Anyone have any thoughts on the 2262 being signficantly better than the 2260?

Thanks.

Re: 2262 Eheim versus 2260 Eheim

I personally have no experience with either filters, but here is what Geoff thinks. I would trust him on anything relating to fish.

Quoting geoff_tropheus:

"The only difference is the Eheim 2262 comes with the double block valves and the Eheim pump 1262. The Eheim 2260 comes standard without the valves, and comes with a Eheim 1260 pump.

The difference in the two pumps is the 1260 has higher head 12'-1" and less flow 635 gph. The 1262 has 11'-6" of head and a flow rate of 900 gph. The 1262 also consumes 15 more Watts.

The higher head is going to maintain flow better as the filter becomes dirty because of the higher differential. The 1262 pump will flow 300gph more but lose flow capacity a bit quicker as the filter becomes dirty. "
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Thank you for the response....very, very useful.

Comment

Depending on application they are both the same. If you using it as a primary I would go with the 2262. If as a secondary the 2260 is best.

I currently have the garbage can type. (outodoor pond) as my secondary filter.

Comment

Thanks Tim, for the vote of confidence  8)

If you buy the 2260, and then the block valves, which is a must on any Eheim Classic Canister, you will save money.  But, in order to have the higher flowrates you will need the Eheim 1262 pump.  This will cost you more money, than just buying the Eheim 2262 straight out.

Both of these canisters are awesome filters.  If your picking between the two, it would depend on tank and stock size.  If you doing a Cichlid tank that is over 150 gallons then the only way to go is Eheim 2262.  If your doing planted tank or community tetra/livebearer type tank, I would go with the 2260 all the way to about 300 gallons. Above 300 gallons, get the Eheim 2262.

Regardless of which you buy, the block valves for intake and discharge are a MUST to have.  The media for the canister can be expensive.  A cheap canister packing I recomend and use is:

3 Liters of the Effimech Noodles.
          5 Liters of the Effifix Green Floss
          3 Gallons of the Bio-Bale Shaved PVC Strands
          1.8 Liters of the MairineLand Black Diamond Charcoal or (4) Bags of Boyd's CHEMIPURE
          Then top off with Blue Foam pad you can get in Bulk Uncut Sheets, then trim to fit a piece for the top layer.

All of this media is only about $40-$50 when ordered online.

About every 4-8 weeks, open the filter, replace the carbon, or if using the CHEMIPURE replace every 3-4 months.  I open the filter every 6 weeks or so, and rinse and re-use everything but Charcoal.

The BIO-BALE, I rinse in Aquarium water.  All other media I rinse in the sink.  Do NOT rinse the CHEMIPURE after it is in service.  The BLue Foam pad is cheap enough to replace at each cleaning, but you can rinse and re-use it a few times.

Hope this helps...

Geoff
          380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
          300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
          180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
          150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Geoff,

What do you think of using Purigen in the 2262?

Thanks.

Comment

I have never tried Purigen in this filter.  I have used Purigen in XP3 canisters.

The same amount of Purigen that covers the same amount of Chemipure is in a smaller bag.  So, what you may have to do is pack in some filter floss around the purigen bags so any bypass around them is minimized.

The Chemipure pags are larger, thus bypass around them is minimized.

I have never tried to re-charge the Purigen, but it does say that it can be recharged with bleach and water.

I never tried it though, so you might want to give Seachem a call before doing that process.

Take care,

Geoff
              380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
              300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
              180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
              150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Working...
              X