X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here good with wood?

I need a canopy for my tank....I would like something like this

Re: Anyone here good with wood?

I'm fair, but nothing close to that kind of workmanship. Mine would look like plywood box with short cuts taken on it.....
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Hmmmmm.... Paint is cheap

How much would you charge?

Comment

I just picked up some router bits so I can (try to) make a nice canopy for my 55.  I'm thinking of going with sliding front doors rather than the cabinet style ones.  

I haven't figured out what I should coat the inside with since I don't want the wood going moldy/mildewy in there from the humidity...  My home computer is down so my web-research capabilities are limited to my lunch hour and any sneak time I can find besides that (like right now...).  

If anyone has suggestions, they're more than welcome!

Spot
        The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
        Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

If you're in no hurry, check back in about 3 months with me. I have several outdoor projects going now, and need to finish them up before taking on another project. I intend to build a custom stand and canopy for my 125 in the fall when working in the garage will not be so uncomfortable. If that goes well, I could make you one at the same time. I would charge for cost of materials and my time (20.00 hr). You could probably buy a used one for less. ?

But, I'm sure there will most likely be another nice canopy for sell sometime down the road here, or some other members who may like to work with wood, might be able to help you out?

CF
          Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Oh, and as a side note, Fishlady bought me a canopy for my 75 a couple weeks ago, and personally, although it looks very nice on the tank, I find them somewhat restrictive as far as feeding and poking around inside the tank. You may want to consider this "restriction" factor before having one built or buying one.  Just my 2 cents on Canopies.

CF

Comment

I can do something like that, what size tank are you looking to have it built for? You can send me some particulars on it and I can see what I can do....

Comment

If you want to test your carpentry skills, make the canopy slice back like a roll top desk  
                'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Spot, use a good water sealer like Thompsons if you are going for the natural wood look. If not, any good quality paint will be fine.
                  Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

PhishPhreek...

I have entertained that thought - I think it would have to have a thin sturdy shelf to mount lights on, and a small gap between teh top of that and the top of the canopy.  This whay when you roll the front up, it doesn't cover the lights.  That would make a handy shlf for keeping any manuals, notebook, tank journal or other flat items for easy access.  Also thought about havingn them roll sideways - instead of sliding doors.  

Would be best to have the sliding channels lined with pfte, nylon or other stiff moisture resistant material, for smooth operation because of the humidity factor.  Johnsons paste floor wax works well on well-sanded wood though - and I already have some of that.  

Right now most of my woodworking tools are in storage until I have a garage built or move (moving is looking mighty favorable...) - otherwise I'd have sawdust in my hair right now...
                    The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
                    Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

Working...
                    X