Filtration for a 150 gal ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filtration for a 150 gal ?

Okay, it's my first time having a tank bigger than 55g. What kind of filtration should be enough for a 150gal tank ?
    I have 2 Aquaclear 110s that i'm running, what can I add for under/around $50 ?
    My name is Andri, and I'm an Ikoholic ! Back in the game !

Re: Filtration for a 150 gal ?

I'm running a Eheim 2217 on my 125, with a Emperor 400 and a powerhead, but I still have dead spots and alot of trash on the bottom when I use the vacumm. I'm thinking of running my powerhead on the bottom instead of the top.

I recently bought a Wet/Dry, it's still incomplete, and hopefully I will have it up and running soon on my 125. I would also consider a Emperor 280 or something similar, or maybe a powerhead with a sponge cannister on it???

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I used a Fluval 403 on my 140 and it did a good job.

It is a canister filter rated at 317 gph
      any of the new canisters in that flow range should work for you.

Wet/dry filters are good but be prepaired to add 1 - 2 gallons of water every day due to evaporation.
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

What are you planning on keeping in the 150? A planted tank will need substantially less filtration that a tank full of cichlids. On my 150g cichlid tank, I have a wet/dry and a Rena xp3.

Why do you want to add more than the two aquaclear 110s?
        Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
        Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
        Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
        Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by armthehomeless";p="
          What are you planning on keeping in the 150? A planted tank will need substantially less filtration that a tank full of cichlids. On my 150g cichlid tank, I have a wet/dry and a Rena xp3.

Why do you want to add more than the two aquaclear 110s?
          i'm moving my tanganyikans and get more tanganyikans  
          is the 2 AC110 enough for the 150g ? it's great if i dont have to add anything, just thought it wouldnt be enough

Comment

IMO More filtration is needed....some will beg to differ though.

On all my big tanks there are multiple filters/powerheads to keep good circulation throughout the tank.

125g
            400g rated wet/dry, 1200gph pump/overflow, xp3, eheim 2228, 200gph powerhead.

135g
            150g rated wet/dry, 800gph pump/overflow, xp3, magnum350, maxi-jet1200, jbj2500.

If you just want to add something then I would go with at LEAST a xp3. Just a little tid bit but Tangs come from a lake that is highly oxygenated.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

For Tangs, a 150 gallon tank needs 7-10 turnover.

10 X 150 = 1500 GPH

(2) AC 110's = 1000 GPH

So, you need another 500 GPH to be at the max.

There are (2) canisters I know in that range, they are the Rena Filstar XP4 at 450 gph, The Fluval FX5 at 607 GPH, and the Eheim 2262 at 900 GPH

Unfortunately for you none of these come under $50

The next best thing would be for $50, I would get the largest Powerhead I could find, the Hydor Koralia Circulation Pump No.4 flows 1,200 gph , I think was onsale at Foster and Smith for like $50.

Good Luck!
              380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
              300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
              180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
              150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

I still like my little JEBO canisters. cheap on ebay. Pick up a UV filter too for another 40-50 bucks
                "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
                n

Comment

Just some number punching but for the price of a renaxp4 you can get 2 xp3's
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

is RIO 2100 good ? anyone used one b4 ?
                    i think i'm gonna try my luck with wet/dry  

Comment

Why don't you just do 50% water changes twice a week? Those plus your 2 110s should make for some very healthy and happy fish.

If you don't have a Python, you can get one from Foster and Smith or Big Al's online for less than $50.

Comment

I like the prices on these

siphon
                        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I have a the big phyton thats about 2 feet long ... what I don't have is time to do 50% water change twice a week  

Phish, hows the circulation pump you posted on Cichlidfan's wet/dry topic ? the $45+ pump from harbor freight ? do they only have it online ?

Comment

Have never been to the local store.  Its too tempting - I might break the suspension on my car driving home.  :(

That pump is what I selected for my 3rd build of my Betta Bunkhouse.  It provided plenty of pressure through the UV sterilizer, 25-micron cartridge filter, 100 drip emmitters 1gpm each and 7'high (head) return line.

Comment

I know this is a old thread.. I didn't want to make another one for the same reason.. But anyways I just got a 150g aqueon tank( not really 150g it's about 160 something...) I'm looking for a filter system for this tank. Idk if I should run canisters, wet/dry or HOB(aquaclear110). Ive been leaning away from the HOB but people say AQ are GOOD...

Comment

Working...
                              X