I have baby guppies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have baby guppies

I came home on Thursday and found 4 babies swimming in the center of the tank around some plants.  There was up to 8 babies by the end of the day.  I have 5 of them in a floating breeding box and there is 2 more swimming around.  I have the female/male count to 5/9 and I would say only one or two females are NOT pregnant.  

I would recommend not buying the baby food for guppies.  It is expensive and they seem to be able to eat ground up flake.  So if anyone needs guppies in the next month or two I should have some for you.

Re: I have baby guppies

Congratulations! I have used human baby food for guppies and that is OK.

max

Comment

Hey yeah, human baby food is cheap.  So what do guppy babies eat in human food?  Mashed peas, carrots, chicken?  I paid $3.69 for a little package of powder.  Total ripoff but it I imagine if you had some expensive, exotic marine fish babies it would be worth the expense.

Comment

Those would be good and of coarse liver or beef or turkey.

max

Comment

Just be sure to do a LOT of water changes!  :)
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Your babies (and all the adults) will love bbs and/or Daphnia.

If you run out of food and can't get to your source any time soon, hard boil an egg - throw the white away and crumble a little bit of the yoke for them - but don't overfeed as it will polute the tank.  Just put the remaining yoke in the frige until the next feeding.
            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I do have to say that even though the store bought food is expensive, it works very well.  It is powdery and disperses across the top when you first put it in but after a while it sinks and forms a fine sand on the bottom of the breeding box.  This works out well since I can't be there to feed them 5 times a day.  I've only lost two of them thusfar, my count is up to 25 in the box and there is usually about 6 new ones or ones I just haven't caught everyday when I come home.

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu";p="
                Just be sure to do a LOT of water changes!  :)
                Definetely true.  I have about 25 infants in the breeding box but a few did die and I am thinking probably cause there was too much rotting food/other nitrites in the container.  So everyday I've been holding the breeding box near the filter to clean things out of there and putting in fresh food.  Also you can start to tell now that there are blue babies and cobra guppy babies.

Comment

I think it was body fungus and not the nitrates that killed the babies.  Since hlaf of my females have been wiped out by the body fungus, and 3 more in critical condition, I hope I can raise the fry and recover some of my population.

Comment

Working...
                  X