Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-fitting Jebo light hood...anyone tried it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-fitting Jebo light hood...anyone tried it?

I've got one of the curved glass Jebo tanks (approx. 40 gallons) that were selling in some LFS a few years back. I like the look of the glass and have has no problems with leaks or the powerhead filter system that came with it. It's weak point, iwhich you know if you've had one, is it's light hood. The first one lasted about a year, and then quit. The LFS, Tropical Fish Depot, at first thought they could refit the ballasts, but then when they found they could get free replacements, gave it up. After months of waiting, during which time I rigged up my tank with a partial plate glass cover and a 30" Coralife CPF light, the LFS came thru with the replacment hood. In just a couple of months, it started going off after being on only a few hours.  I'd tested it standing around against a wall, and it will stay lit, but over the tank, it goes out. Water isn't splashing on it, but the design does expose parts of the underside to moisture from the tank.  The Coralife does the job, but it's very awkward, the way I have to sit it on the glass,etc., compared to being able to lift the hood of the Jebo light to feed.  I also miss the streamlined look of the top as a whole.  Has anyone every tried with any success in fixing up one of these lights so that it can do the job it was intended to do?  This is just sort of one of those thorn in the side things around my house.

Polly
    MY MANTRA: Yes, I CAN have too many fishtanks!

Re: Re-fitting Jebo light hood...anyone tried it?

Can you post a picture of it all?

lay the light on it's back and take a picture...also measurements of the open room where the lights actually lay would be good too. What I would do is look for the compact fluorescent retrofit kits and try to fit one in there.

ahsupply.com comes to mind.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

A simpler and cheaper repair would be to silicone all the exposed electronics. Make sure the light is good and dry and that it lights properly. Shoot silicone over the exposed areas. Let it dry for a couple days. You should be back in buisness. If not, then try the retrofit kit.
      Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

I'd done a quick search for old "JEBO" posts and saw that someone, several months back, had offered one like mine for sale. It was their "R375" model, and they had put up photos and size diagrams, if you're interested in looking before I get around to photos.  Scott, I'd thought about doing what you suggest...trying to seal stuff up with silicon. The fixture has a plastic cap that clips on over the bulb section, and I thought about sealing the edges of that, but since you mention it, I expect that isn't the part that is being effected.  Since the LFS guy was having trouble finding ballast that looked like they'd fit, I think I'll try the silicon first.  Will post photos if I can't figure out where to put it.  Thanks.

Polly
        MY MANTRA: Yes, I CAN have too many fishtanks!

Comment

Working...
        X