Wet Dry Filtration Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Dry Filtration Systems

I've been doing some research on DIY WD systems and those available from the retail outlets. I am thinking I might like to give one a try sometime in the near future. Before I do, and just to make sure I really want to invest time and money into them....

I'd like to ask the members here some questions about wet dry filters for larger FW tanks.

#1 How many of you use them?
    #2 What would YOU say the main PRO's & CON's of these filters are?
    #3 Would I still want to use a HOB or Cannister filter in addtion with one?
    #4 Are there any HFB members using WD systems, who are willing to discuss them on the phone?
                            (I have tons of questions, but will not list them all here)
    #5 Lastly, are they really worth it, with today's high engery costs?

Please feel free to share any links or archived articles if you know of, and as always, thanks for your help/advice.

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Re: Wet Dry Filtration Systems

#1 Me
    #2 Pros.....awesome biological filtration! & Cons.....Noise? (nothing really cause I don't hear the noise anymore)
    #3 I run 2 canisters alongside the W/D on one tank and 2 canisters and two powerheads on another
    #4 I have aim.....either way pm me.
    #5 I added a 125g tank....1200gph rated W/D,Eheim 2228, Rena xp3, 3x 55w pc, 300w heater and it probably only raised the bill no more then $20 a month at least that's what I figure/noticed.

I have 2x 6' tanks and both run the wet/dry which does a really good job of filtration all around. If I could find overflows small enough my small tanks would have them too!
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

They are worth using, I use one

1 you can keep all the extra crap out of your tank (heaters and what not)

2 The filtration is awesome

3 Easy to maintain

4 Long lasting/reliable

5 You sound like a pro when you say "I use wet/dry Filtration"

5 1/2 Eliminations need for air stone (in my opinion)

6 If Ek uses it, it's got to be good.

7 serves as a isolation tank if one fish decides to put another in check
      Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's, Houstons premier fish club.

David Seratt
      Co-President of CAK

Comment

Originally posted by CichlidFan";p="
        I've been doing some research on DIY WD systems and those available from the retail outlets. I am thinking I might like to give one a try sometime in the near future. Before I do, and just to make sure I really want to invest time and money into them....

I'd like to ask the members here some questions about wet dry filters for larger FW tanks.

#1 How many of you use them?
        #2 What would YOU say the main PRO's & CON's of these filters are?
        #3 Would I still want to use a HOB or Cannister filter in addtion with one?
        #4 Are there any HFB members using WD systems, who are willing to discuss them on the phone?
                                (I have tons of questions, but will not list them all here)
        #5 Lastly, are they really worth it, with today's high engery costs?

Please feel free to share any links or archived articles if you know of, and as always, thanks for your help/advice.

CF
        1 - see  http://baker.ws/bunkhouse/bunkhouse.html
        2 - pro - minimum maintaince & low cost
            con - they have a lot of evaporation loss
        3 - no,  but an inline cartridge filter is worth the extra $$
        4 - yes / 409-392-6616
        5 - make sure you use a mag pump  
        HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

As stated above, wet/dry give you the most filtration bang for the buck. They are fantastic for bio filtration, for hiding in tank equipment, and for easy water jet circulation on the return. The down side is that they, in most cases are of an overflow design. That is they remove water from the top of the tank, rather than from the bottom along the gravel line where the water really needs to be moved from. They don't remove solids as well as canisters due to their overflow nature, or polish the water without some pricey additions placed in-line on the return. They can be noisey, akin to a toilet flushing, non-stop, if the overflow itself doesn't hold enough water to cover the downtubes and prevent air intake along with the water.
          There are many pro's and con's to the wet/dry. Maintanance can be easy, or difficult, depending on placement and clearance. Water quality can be vastly improved, or it can cause you to have a cloudy tank if no particulate filtration is provided for in the sump itself, allowing solids which will accumulate to be picked up by the pump and returned to the tank.
          Should you run another in tank filter along with the sump? For me, the addition of a canister or hang on filter is invaluable if for no other reason than to remove some of the waste from the lower level of the tank and to provide some measure of water polishing.
          I have used sumps on multi-tank rack systems and currently continue to run one in my livingroom. Once you figure out how to overcome the toilet flush the noise level isn't any more than a regular canister filter, just remember to set yourself up with some prefiltration on the downspout, filterfloss in the drip pan, good quality bio media in the bio chamber, and a high quality particulate sponge that completely seals the bypass to the pump and you are well on the way to a trouble free sump.
          Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Not to knock you PP but I think the MagDrive pumps produce a lot of heat. I have the Mag12 on my 125g and it keeps the temp up towards 81f while my other tank is running the Eheim 1262 runs a lot cooler at 79f.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Well, the first one I built had a 1hp external pump and the noise was irratating.
              the second one I built used a sears direct drive submersable sump pump and it kept my entire system including tanks 10+ degrees warmer than my fishroom.
              the trird one I used the equivelent of a mag 7 (magnetic drive, 400gph at 6' head) and I have had no noise or heat problems.  Also the mag pumps pull less than half as many amps as a direct drive pump.

The difference you are seeing is more than likely the Hp needed to lift the water from the sump to the tank.   If you put the Mag 12 (1200gph / 110 watts) at the same level as the Eheim (3400 l/h / 80 watts) you can see that the mag gives you more bang for the buck.
              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I agree that the MagDrive is a great pump for the price but both pumps are actually in the same exact location as each other and both are submerged in the sump.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Apples & apples
                  the eheim is also a magnetic coupling drive.

eheim 1262 parts

so we are talking about 2 different brands of magnetic coupled pumps - Sorry, I have never used eather brand of pump so I bow to your greater experience.

Thanks

Comment

Thanks for sharing all your opinions folks, I think I'll browse thru the DIY forum for any Wet Dry postings and see what I can find there.

CF
                    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I've decided to take a small tank we are useing for quarantined fish, and turn it into a wet dry. I'll be needing some egg crate and acrylic sheets I suppose and the plumbing too of course. I'll keep you all posted on my efforts, maybe even post some pics of it as I go. I'm going to check the fish market for that pump I saw posted a few days ago too. Let me know if you all have any thoughts or comments.

Thanks

CF

Comment

Head over to marshreef.com there are some over there for pretty cheap.

There was one with an overflow for $100 and one without for $50.

Might end up cheaper/nicer that route over making one.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

the quick and cheap system that I saw was tuppaware  plastic cartons of different depths but the same size top all stacked together.  One for foam filter, one for bio-balls and one for water.  they had holes in the bottom of the top 2 for dranage and a sump pump in the bottom one

Comment

I saw both the wet dry's over on MR, and I also seen that home made W/D using a plastic storage bin.....It's hard to make up my mind now.....I'll have to give it some time as I've really been going overboard with the money spent on fish and tanks, and all.....thanks again for the tips though....

CF

Comment

Well, I took the expensive but easy way out on this W/D system, I drove to La Porte and bought a used W/D from a marsh reef member. It appears to be in good condition and I hope to have it up and running soon, but the system I bought did not include the pump and I notice another marsh reef member is selling a Mag 9.5 for 40.00, but it needs a front cover/seal replacement. The seal/cover is supposed to be fairly simple to replace, so do you folks believe this would be a good choice to complete my first W/D system? I'll need to obtain some return line plumbing to the tank from the sump and any ideas about where or what to get would also be greatly appreciated.

Oh and the W/D came with only one syphon tube for the overflow tank, I believe I should use two for my 125 gallon tank, do you all agree ?

Thanks

CF

Comment

Working...
                              X