got a problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got a problem

in my big 110 i have a african cichlid that his fins are gone.  I quarantined him a few days ago and he has gotten some energy back but his fins are rotted off and he is gettin skinny like a crackhead or something.  (drawing up)  My male green severum has a white patch on one of his front fins closedst to his gills.  i dont believe it is ich but its just the one patch.  not real big but not real small.  i have been treating for ich for 3 days and no change.  spot isnt bigger or smaller.  what is it, how did he get it and what should i do to both of them????

Re: got a problem

As to the african cichlid, can you describe his fins a bit more (or what's left of them)? Are they whitish around the edges? Is he eating at all? Are any others that are still in the 110 having any similar problems?

For the green severum, is he in the 110, too, or did you quarantine him? How have you been treating for ich, and why (if you don't think it's ich)?

Bacterial fin rot could be the source, but more info would help before any conclusions are made. Sometimes it can manifest itself as spots or white edges on torn-looking fins, if I'm not mistaken.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I would be willing to bet both these fish were in the same tank right? If this is the case what you are seeing is the equivalent of a fish scab. These two fish have been fighting, with the green coming out on top. The white fuzzy growth is the fishes way of healing the wounds. Chances are that the green will be fine, but the african with total fin loss and wasting has suffered some pretty severe injuries in his beating and more than likely won't make it.
      If this isn't the case and they were actually in seperate tanks then you may be looking at fin rot. Fin rot and many other bacterial infections can be treated with antibiotics.
      Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Or melafix.  :)

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu";p="
          As to the african cichlid, can you describe his fins a bit more (or what's left of them)? Are they whitish around the edges? Is he eating at all? Are any others that are still in the 110 having any similar problems?

For the green severum, is he in the 110, too, or did you quarantine him? How have you been treating for ich, and why (if you don't think it's ich)?

Bacterial fin rot could be the source, but more info would help before any conclusions are made. Sometimes it can manifest itself as spots or white edges on torn-looking fins, if I'm not mistaken.
          His fins started off like tearing long ways.  like someone was pullin them apart and lookin real tattered.  They were whitish and his body looked kinda scaly.  He is eating but not very much.  Noone in the 110 is showing problems at all everyone looks great except for the severum with that white spot.  I was treatin for ich cause i though that maybe it could be but doubted it but the med also said it was for fungus's too so i though if its a fungus it would help but it hasnt gotten worse or better.  Both of them were in the 110 thats why im really nervous.  
          The africans fins have since completely fallen off.  he only has little nubs for flippers and no tail fin at all.  he is quarantined but i dont have anyplace to put the severum just incase.

Comment

Originally posted by SCOTT";p="
            I would be willing to bet both these fish were in the same tank right? If this is the case what you are seeing is the equivalent of a fish scab. These two fish have been fighting, with the green coming out on top. The white fuzzy growth is the fishes way of healing the wounds. Chances are that the green will be fine, but the african with total fin loss and wasting has suffered some pretty severe injuries in his beating and more than likely won't make it.
            If this isn't the case and they were actually in seperate tanks then you may be looking at fin rot. Fin rot and many other bacterial infections can be treated with antibiotics.
            They were in the same tank but the african is kinda old.  he is probably 5 yrs old or so and hes not much of a fighter usually but they all have there moments.  I was thinkin fin rot though because the fins started off tattered and looked like they were torn apart.  they were there just stringy looking.  since i quarantined him they have fallin off.  i was treatin him with fungus med and stress coat.

Comment

Have you tested the water in the 110? If so, what are the results?

I would do a water change to get the meds out of the 100, since I'm assuming you treated the whole tank. Do the same for the quarantine tank. They won't get better if they're stressed out, and medicating them is not a stress-less ordeal.

Watch the severum closely to see if his condition changes (gets better or worse), as well as the other fish in the tank. It was a very good idea to quarantine the african. Is it possible for you to post pictures of the fins? Adding meds for fungus/ich/whatever will only be more stressing if the diagnosis is incorrect, especially since fin rot, for instance, is a bacterial problem.

Comment

k. ill get a pic posted this evaning of him.  as for the 110 i am gonna do the water change.  i was gonna do it last night but i had been up since 300 am.  work sucked yesterday.  lol.  but ill get a pic of the african and try to of the severum.  thanks.

Comment

If you can, do a partial water change in both tanks. It can't hurt!  :)

Comment

sick fish pics sorry the pics are horrible but i cant get my pics to come out very good when i take them and i dont have any good software to crop them with.  sorry.

Comment

yellow lab thats sick

Comment

Looks like the have been beating each other up.

That Yellow lab is probably a goner......wasting away.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

hes eatin good and does move around alot. is gettin energy back.  but i think im gonna have bump him off.

Comment

Wasting disease.....I would put him down and out of misery.
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

yeah hes gonna get the assisted suicide tonight.  lol

Comment

Working...
                              X