Bacterial Additives....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bacterial Additives....

What would you all suggest as being the best bacterial addititve for cycling a new tank (i.e. setting up)?

Also, how would you all rank the following additives:

* Nitromax Fresh (made by Tropical Science)
                        * Stability - New Tank Stabilization (made by Seachem)
                        * Biozyme
                        * Cycle

Re: Bacterial Additives....

Bio-spira by Marineland....

all the rest is just dirty water.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Yeah, that's a given ek. I was doin' a compare/contrast in Drs. Fosters and Petsolutions w/ Bio-spira and the others. But for the amount that I need, I'm looking at a few hundred $ easily...and that's not including  ship/hand...hypothetically saying I was to order from Drs. Fosters b/c PetSolutions don't carry it (at least it's not shown in the catalog).

See, the problem is: I'm setting up my 200, 135, 100, a 75, 65, and maybe another 75 b/c I'm moving into a bigger house. So I finally get a chance to pull my bigger tanks out of storage, and maybe get rid of some of the smaller. I'm goin' offshore for work in a couple of weeks, and I'll be gon' for a few wks. So I don't and absolutely can't put the responsiblity of my "kids" off on my girlfriend and nephew b/c their experience level is rather "shallow". Not to say I'm an expert, but I can do my thing.

Ideally, I let a new tank cycle for at least a week, use a rather generic bacterial additive, filters and gravel that was already in use, and just let it go...until I test the water for a few days w/ a few larger goldfish. But this time around, I don't really have the luxury of time due to our move out date, date of utilities transfer, work schedule, etc...

So with all things considered, how would you all rank the forementioned bacterial additives?

Comment

Drsfostersmith does carry bio-spira....
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Yeah, they do...it's $30 for a 90 gal treatment (3 oz), and $20 for a 30 gal treatment (1 oz)...plus s/h which will be about another $35-40 b/c it has to be delivered on 2nd day service due to the fact that it's a refrigerated item.

So you figure...I'm looking at about $250 roughly for the amt. that I would need.

Comment

I am not sure on the pricing, but I have used a number of cycle products and the only two that have ever worked for me are:

1. Bio-Spira by Marineland
            2. ECCO-Start by Kent Marine

Chris the best thing you can use is dirty media that is already populated.

I am not sure what kind of filtration you will use in these tanks, but I would ask people that are using the same kind of filtration as you will and get these people to give you dirty media.  

Also, I am not sure on how your going to stock these tanks, but as long as you will do it slowly, you could run old filter media, along with a new filter.  Meaning...you set up your 200 gallon with a sump or large canister, and then use one of your HOB's from a 55 gallon and run that on the tank with the same amount of fish you had in that 55.  This will populate the bio-balls in your sump, or the canister in about a week, and then remove the HOB.

Then after that, add more fish, and the rest will escalate over time and be fine.

Anytime you move aquariums, this is what I do, and what I recomend, always feed about 50% of what you normally do for the first week, perform the same amount of waterchanges that you do, but on the first one or two do not vaccum gravel.  Just change water.

I also recomend, getting a Nitrite and Ammonia Tester.  Just check Ammonia for the first 48 hours, Nitrite you need to check for 3-5 days.

Then, your in the clear...

When are you moving?
            380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
            300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
            180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
            150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

When you set these "new" tanks up, will you put fish in them?

Something you can do, is have whoever is going to take care of your fish, have them feed the tank with food every other day.

The decaying ammonia from the uneaten food should have the tank in a good cycle ready for a small amount of fish within the couple of weeks that you are gone.

Just another idea...
              380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
              300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
              180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
              150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

I agree. But I'm a bit confused...Are you going away for work after you fill the new tanks? If so, why not let them cycle with filter media/fish food and no fish for those few weeks?
                "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Yeah, I'll be heading off in a couple of weeks, and I really didn't think I was goin' to be able to accomendate my tanks, meaning space/elec. outlets, as I have temporarily.

UPDATE: I'm now in the new house...got just about everything set up (or at least in place w/ regards to my 65 and 100. I need to rinse some of that holey rock we picked up, Geoff, for the 65...and some misc. colored gravel for the 100. I'm also keeping my eyes open for a few nice, larger driftwood pieces, preferably w/ slate/granite btms.).

The 200 (nicknamed "The Big Bang" and the 135 is being cycled with old filters, deco (i.e. Eco-Start by Kent Marine, large rocks, driftwood, and lava rock substrate from established tanks). Water testing will be done tomorrow...gotta find the box w/ the test kits  :think: All my kids are primarily in the garage temporarily...got a few smaller, holding tanks here in the house. I ended up transporting the tanks w/ as much water as possible, and either put airstones/powerheads in them once at the new house. Or I adding the mininum amt. of water possible to the tank for a previously in-use HOB filter to operate. Moving the tanks WAS NOT easy when we got to the 75's I had set-up in my apt. on the 2nd floor w/ 2 flights of stairs!!! So you know it was alot of    ...and this  :furious:...some of this   . It seemed like a good idea when I moved them up there, but when it's time to move everything...your thoughts about the matter is
                    :think:  :emtidea:  :dance:  :clap:       :uhoh:    :crazy:  :aua:  :hang:

But so far, so good...w/ the exception of a pictus cat I had. But I think it was more of the Flowerhorns gangin' up on him  :axe: than it was the stress.

Comment

glad it working out for you!
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thanks Ek...it was touch-n-go when I was just sittin' around tryin' to formulate a strategy. But once I just started to do it b/c it HAD to be done, it all started to come together.

Just did a water test on my girlfriend's African set-up, and all systems are go!!! Well...with the exception of the temp. being low (approx. 74 deg.)due to the air condition. But that's easily solvable with a heater.

Comment

Working...
                      X