salinaty and specific gravity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• salinaty and specific gravity

ok. i have a living sea 8" hydrometer plus and a instant ocean hydrometer.  when i use them i get different readings from the too.  I get like a 1.006 on the thermometer one and the one you fill up shows 1.012.  exactly how am i suppose to fill it up. does that matter or what?  and second which one is correct or am i doin something wrong????

Re: salinaty and specific gravity

This is one of those questions that is best answered by the salt water fish group.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

u let me down phreek.  lol

Comment

In my very limited experience with hydrometers, sometimes the ones that you fill up with water can have air bubbles on them, causing a higher specific gravity reading. I agree with PhishPhreek, you'll probably get a more knowledgable response on a saltwater forum like marshreef.
        Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
        Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
        Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
        Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

thnks

Comment

With RO water you will get 1.0 specific gravity.
            If you are able to get any RO water this is how you can check to see how accurate your hydrometer is.

Walter
            Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
            Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
            Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Like armthehomeless said, air bubbles can really skew your readings. Fill the hydrometer up a few times, then check for air bubbles sticking to the pointer/arm thing. Also, make sure the water temp is in the correct range for an accurate reading.
              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Most of the units from pet shops are not accurate; except refractometers. I used an industrial hydrometer about 12" long when I had salt and it worked fine. Why are you checking fresh water ?

Comment

I'm pretty sure he's talking about a brackish tank for his puffer.  :)
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
                  X