plans for a 30g planted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plans for a 30g planted.

i plan on starting a 30gal planted tank. im not sure what lights i need for a 30g tall? and i read around this forum about people doing good without any CO2 at all. what lights do you recommend and is CO2 really needed??

thanks ahead for the help.

Re: plans for a 30g planted.

It all depends on the type of plants that you want. No - CO2 is not needed - I don't use it on any of my planted tanks.  There is a good thread about color spectrum and light intensity on this forum. I would probably use two fluorescent strip lights if going for low - med light plants or power compacts for mid - high lighting.
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

these might help:
      HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Comment

Supplementing co2 is not neccessary but I will say that the plants grow much faster and nicer with it!

But also keep in mind that everything needs to have a balance and without it there will be some headaches. With high light there has to be co2 supplemented and where there is high co2 and co2 there needs to be fertilization.

For lighting you can either go with some shop lights from HomeDepot or spring for a coralife fixture or similar. For a 30g tall I think they are what like 24"?

What are you trying to accomplish? Full blown planted tank or are you just trying to keep them alive?
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

im thinking somewher in the middle of keeping them alive and a full blown tank.. something nice..

Comment

Do you want fish in there as well?

Comment

okay so i went out and purchased the light and substrate. How should i use the substrate? ive seen substrate on the bottom and gravel on top and a the substrate and gravel mixed. which one is better??

thanks

Comment

What type of substrate did you buy?

Comment

yeah...
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

the flora base plant substrate and i am thinkin bout putting fish in there, still undecided on what though.

Comment

There should be directions on the package, but if memory serves me correctly, you don't need to wash it. As for what works best - I think either would work just fine. If this is you first planted tank, I would either mix it together or go with just florabase because you'll probably be moving and planting different plants frequently  which would cause the layered effect to get a little messy. (at least that is what happened to me)

As for the fish, resist the temptation to buy spontaneously. Research all and try to get an overall plan in your head before you start. Everybody likes something a little different....GOOD LUCK!!

Comment

i finally got everything i needed. but i got one question, on my Red Sea CO2 Bio-System it says to turn off the Co2 at night and get a timer. is it bad to have CO2 always on?

Comment

Is that the yeast mix one? If so you really can't turn it off other then turning off the powerhead.

If that's not it and it's actually the pressurized co2 then you can either turn it off via timer/solenoid or just run it 24/7. I have tanks that some run via timer and some that are 24/7 and it works either way. Do make sure that if you run it 24 then set it so that it gets a steady amount of co2 and to be on the safe side for the first few nights have a air pump of some sort to increase surface agitation at night.
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

its the yeast.

Comment

Let it run....
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X