Brown algae ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown algae ?

I'm starting to get some brown/reddish algae on my rocks. Should I be alarmed or is this ok. I have a small giraffe cat but it only cleans/sifts through the sand. What type algae eater should I purchase to limit the amount of build-up. This is in a 55gal tank w/ Eheim 2215 and two maxi-jet 1200's. Thanks for the help.

Re: Brown algae ?

How is your lighting schedule and is the tank in direct sunlight?

I am guessing this is a cichlid/tang tank with the giraffe cat, other then fixing what is wrong Bristlenose plecos do a good job and can handle cichlids on most occasions.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

eklikewhoa, the tank does not get direct sunlight. I usually run the light for an hour in the morning while feeding and again for a few hours in the evening. And yes this is a cichlid/tang tank. I appreciate your help.

Thanks

Comment

Is this tank a fairly new setup? Have you recently done an extremely large water change?
        Smokin_Cache
        Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
        Lets see what the imagination fruits.
        Check out my last tank

Comment

The tank has been running for about 4-5 months. I change about 10-15 gals a week during cleanings. The algae is only spotting on the rocks not everywhere. I was just questioning it before it gets out of hand or if this normal, kind of preventative. I appreciate your help.

Comment

I don't think it's too much to worry about. Usually at the beginning a tank is going to get a few algae blooms. When you say it's on the rocks, do you mean the gravel, or do you have larger stones in there? If they're large, you could always clean them when you do water changes with some sort of brush (new, of course, unless you have one for fish tanks only). Do you use a gravel vacuum when you change the water?

One more question - Can I ask why you turn the lights on for only an hour in the morning and a few hours in the evening? Just curious.
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

The growth is only on the rocks not the sand. I do use a gravel vacuum during water changes. I have the lights only when home. Do you have a recommendation for a time amount to leave on. I appreciate your help.

Comment

Well you barely have your lights on so that's fine algae wise.

I would probably cut back on the feedings and maybe test or see if you tap water has high phosphates in it.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Well, I'm assuming this isn't a planted tank...but fish like a schedule, too. If it's possible, get a timer for the light and leave it on for about 8 hours or so if you can. I know that only a few hours a day really helps to control algae, but it's probably confusing the fish a bit. When the light is on can depend on your schedule...I am assuming you feed your fish in the morning and then turn the light back on when you get home from work? Maybe you could switch that around and have the light come on later in the morning and plan it so you have a few hours of viewing/feeding/whatever in the evenings before the light goes off. That system works well for me.

Also, ek's suggestion to test the water is a good one...not only your tap but also your tank water. If the nitrates are high, for example, you know what's helping the algae along and can adjust accordingly.  :)

Comment

I've been wanting to get a timer so I go and get one. I test my water weekly for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. The last test I did this past weekend were 0 on ammonia and nitrites and 10ppm nitrates. Thanks again

Comment

Well, sounds good to me!

Comment

Nitrates sound really good.... I would probably lean towards less feeding and tap water params then if everything else is spot on.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

not always 100% but an old general rule of thumb is that green algae means too much light, brown algae means you are over feeding.... a perfect balance and you have almost no algae....
                          but you are not having real algae issues at the moment. so continue with what you are doing, if anything step up the frequency and amount of water change, but that is about all.... large volume water changes will not cause algae but will normally help reduce brown algae but have almost no effect on green alage....
                          GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

Working...
                          X