wife approves more fish and doesnt kick me out. lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wife approves more fish and doesnt kick me out. lol

She made me promise that the only fish I buy between now and me decidein between the Green Terrors or the Jack Dempseys, that I not buy any fish.  Well today we were at LFS and they have green spotted puffers.  Well I have been dien to get my hands on any kinda puffer but dont wanna pay for the MBU and dont have the tank for the MBU either.  Dwarfs are just to small and well I saw they had Green Spotted Puffers.  Well I decided that I have never had a tank other than fresh and that I really liked them.  So I bought some salt, hydrometer, and some food in preperation for him.  I am going back monday to get one.  I just kicked all my rosy barbs outta my 10 gallon and salted it up.  They are happier it seems in my 30 gallon and actually got my mix of baby africans in the 30 to come outta hiding and be more social.  Anyone got any advice on the Green Spotted PUffer between now and monday let me konw cause i cant wait.  Im excited.

Re: wife approves more fish and doesnt kick me out. lol

hey can anyone find me a website on the green spotted puffer that gives me some better info on breeding other than they lay eggs on a rock and it takes about a week to hatch.  like what the eggs look like, maybe how to sex them.  i konw they say no way to but theres gotta be something youd think

Comment

Google them, I found all kinds of stuff for a friend of mine looking for them.

Comment

you know i do need to use google more often.  I use msn and they suck.  after hours of not findin anything i usualy go to google.  im a slow learner.  haha.

Comment

Dwarfpuffers.com I think it's what it's called.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

yeah i been there.  thanks. but the dwarfpuffer isnt the same as the Green Spotted Puffer.  GSP gets alot bigger.  they get like 6 inch on average.

Comment

used dogpile and got 62 hits
              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

never heard of that one.  ill try it.  hey bye the way your a fish breeder guy so whats teh trick and how do you raise snails??  I know i dont want them in my tank but i have like a little 2 gallon hex tank that is for bettas and i dont use it.  im gonna try and grow some snails to feed the puffer.  wonder if i could feed him the snails i find around my house on the windows and screendoor and stuff??

Comment

I have a GSP and he's a really easy guy to take care of.  I've got mine to eat flakes.  It took a few months but it's great to be able to feed him something easy.  I still feed him snails and frozen/live foods too.  I was moving his tank last month and I put him in a small plastic cup and the little guy kept jumping out of the water he was so mad (or so I think) and I had to keep a cover on the cup and hurry to move the tank so he would calm down.  His belly is super-fat and he's so cute.  I get so sad when you see those skinny puffers at the LFS.  I can't help with your breeding questions but if you have any others questions I'll see if I can help you out.  Oh, I breed snails in a separate tank (I got some as hitchhikers from plants) and they take care of breeding on their own.  If you don't have any algae or plants in your betta tank then you can put romaine lettuce in there for them to munch on.  Mine just eat what they can find.  They're pretty self-sufficient.
                  58G Malawis
                  10G planted

Comment

Yeah the local fish store said they have him eating everything.  The puffer Im gettin is fat too. The LFS has taken great care of the ones they have.  How big is yours and what size tank you have him in.  I have a 10 gallon that hes gonna go in.  Id like to get 2 of them but Im gonna see how the one goes.  I can always move my rosy barbs back to the 10 when the baby africans go to the 110, convert the 30 well actually its a 29 but whats one gallon and but the puffer or puffers in there.  I dont have any live aquarium plants so Im gonna have to get some snails from the local fish store.  Whats the trick to breeding,  do you have deep water, filter or what goin on?  And anymore advice on the puffers and Im all eyes,.

Comment

Originally posted by mrairportjunke";p="
                      how do you raise snails??  I know i dont want them in my tank but i have like a little 2 gallon hex tank that is for bettas and i dont use it.  im gonna try and grow some snails to feed the puffer.    
                      Give them a clean tank and plenty of light & food. The light grows algie or you can get wafers at the LFS, rabbit pelets at the feed store or just feed them vege scraps (lettus, cabage, squash etc)
                      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

how much water do i need in the tank?  what about filter or aerator??

Comment

Inside I would use a HOB filter
                          but it is summer time now
                          you can buy a 30g plastic tote for <$5 and put it outside
                          even make a small fountain w/ landscaping

Comment

yeah.  might have to think about that

Comment

I was at Wal-mart in Deer Park last week, and saw the green spotted puffers on sale for 4.49.  Not sure what possessed me but I got one thinking "If wal-mart has them and they're in freshwater here, they must be the freshwater variety, and I've got that spare 10 gallon I can put him in for now..."  After double-checking online once I got him home, I found out he (she?) is the brackish variety.  I already had some marine salt and a small bag of live sand but right now he's still in a gravelled 7 gallon black plastic garbage can (bought and used specifically in the 'fish room') with a sponge filter and some marine salt added.  He's been eating bloodworms, but I can't tell if he's eaten many of the squillions of snails I've tossed in there.  
                              I'd like to add a few other fish/inverts with him, but I know they can be aggressive.
                              The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
                              Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

Working...
                              X