making media for a Rena XP4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making media for a Rena XP4

Hey just curiuos guys,  who here makes there own carbon and ammonia inserts for there filters.  I have a rena xp4 and dont wanna pay the high price for the prepackaged stuff that rena sells.  I was thinkin about buyin a big bucket of carbon and big bucket of ammonia stuff to fill those bags they sell up.  Who does this and if so give me some advice of what to get and buy.  I have never made my own inserts so i dont wanna buy the wrong stuff or screw it up.  Advice and help please.  thanks

Re: making media for a Rena XP4

Ditch them both.

The both will clog with junk and after they soak up the impurities they become problematic if not replaced or removed.

I have two xp3 and they are filled with ceramic glass rings for bio-filtration with the included sponges they came with. For the top "fine" sponge I just buy the roll of blue/white pad from the LFS and just cut it up to fit.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

what do you use for chemical to help keep water clear?  no carbon??

Comment

Water changes usually keep the water clean or a little bag of Sechem Purigen.

None of my tanks have anything other then bio-media maybe a sponge and a little bag of seachem purigen and no troubles with water clarity. Minimize your feeding amounts, routine water changes and it should be fine.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

thnks

Comment

I run (2) XP3's on my 125 gallon.  I use Chemipure.  I put two bags in the top basket with a fine pad.  Keeps my tank really clean!

I replace the Chemipure bags every 2-3 months depending on when flow in XP3 slows down too much.
            380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
            300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
            180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
            150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Working...
            X