Where to find a heater guard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to find a heater guard?

After a bad burn experience (and the consequential loss) of one of my bristlenose plecos, I'm searching for a heater guard (actually I need 2).  I've been told they exist, but have yet to find any on the shops I've been to.  Has anyone seen one locally - and where?  I've been trying to think of a way to make one, but unsure what materials I can use that will keep the fish out, yet still allow adequate water flow.

A guy at one shop told me he'd seen them for some of the smaller heaters, but I have 200W heaters in those tanks which are a bit longer than that.  Besides that, he couldn't remember where he'd seen them anyway.

I've got 2 20L tanks that I need to keep around 85 degrees.  My fears of a heater going haywire and overheating the tank (been there, done that), and concern about one of my little guys toasting himself are driving me nuts.  It's not for the BN's though, now that it's summer, the tanks stay at a comfy 78 for them.  It's for some of my other plecos.  There's a good amout of flow in the tanks so it needs to withstand a bit of current.

Ideas, suggestions and comments welcome....

Spot
    The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
    Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Re: Where to find a heater guard?

They make window bug screen in nylon and plastic coated hardware cloth.  Check with your local hardware store and see what they suggest.

The Tronic models are Hagen's best submersible aquarium heaters. They are built to last, with high quality electronics and heavy glass tube. Consumers report that they are very pleased with their performance, however some have found that the tubes run a bit "hot" during operation and can damage some tank critters if the optional Therma Guard is not installed on the heater. The Hagen Tronics are in the upper price range for heaters, however a majority of users indicate that they are well worth the few extra dollars.

Checkout the very last item on this page.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I got some cross stictch grids from micheal's that is thick plastic stuff similar to window screens but all plastic that I am sure you could use to rig up something.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Yea, I've got a some of that stuff - I've used it to make breeder baskets, plant pots and tank dividers.  Wish I could find large sheets of it in black or dark green or blue.  I just wonder if it puts off any chemicals or fumes when it gets warm.  I should think it could easily withstand temps up to 90.  What do you use in your zebra tank - anything?

I've got so many projects going right now I was looking for an "already done" thing.
        The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
        Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

Working...
        X