I'm finally going to do it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm finally going to do it

After reading about co2 and all that jazz I am finally going to try it out. I am a bit nervous but I'll be following this site step by step. I hope I don't goof up to bad. Hope this site also helps out other people.

Re: I'm finally going to do it

Just some added advise.....go with a 2L bottle and then use the 20oz. in between as a catch can just in case the worst happens the overflow of the yeast will flow into the catch can instead of your tank.

I used a different mix when I used DIY and it was stong enough to power a ceramic diffuser and kept the co2 at 30-40ppms pretty consistent for DIY.

here's what I used....

2 liter pop bottle you'll need
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 tsp yeast
    1/2 tsp baking soda (Optional)
    2 packs unflavored gelatine or

Make sure the bottle and your other equipment (e.g. funnel) are clean.

Dissolve the unflavored gelatine in 2 cups of cold water, then bring to
    a boil strirring until gelatine is dissolved.
    Then pour into the 2 liter pop bottle and fill to about half way with
    cold water.
    Add the sugar and baking soda and shake untill it's dissolved well.
    Fill with cold water until it's about an inch below where the top of the
    bottle starts to curve and shake again.
    Refrigerate until the gelatine sets.

Add warm water up to the point the bottle starts to curve, then add the
    yeast. swirl around to mix. (or you could do this in a cup and stir,
    then pour into the bottle). The solution should be at least 3 inches
    below the top of the bottle.

It's ready to cap and hook to the tank.

Also.....when you make it, make 2 bottles so you can switch off like every other week to keep it all consistant and on larger tanks look for the Hawaiian punch 4L bottle and do double the mix!
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I have been uasing the method that EK is saying for a while now & have had great success. I ended up building a inline reactor for my xp3 which was really easy also, now I  don't have a champane tank, or should i say a beer tank, because of the buget!!  

Comment

Let us know how it goes, Grace!
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

been a while since ive been  on here but everything is looking really nice. some plants are growing quite fast...a few are taking a little more time. i'll be posting up pics of my tank when i have the time

Comment

Pictures is a must!
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

When you say using an inline reactor on a xp3, is that an air pump?  I am starting a 35 gallon planted and this seems like a great idea for putting in carbon.   Could I put the carbon inline to an air line and go into an air stone?

Nevermind, it seems this is possible.  I am also going to try this once I get my tank going.  Thanks for the info and the link.

Comment

I am not totally sure I understand how to do this   I was reading on it and it says alot of surface activity will cause the carbon to be lost.  So I can't do it through an air pump?  In fact, I probably should't use an air pump at all.  Please help.

Comment

DIY CO2
                  'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                  He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                    X