plants for a cichlid tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plants for a cichlid tank

hey peeps.....i am setting up a 100 gallon tank for a cichlid commuity...i have read that java fern is good in a cichlid tank...but i am wondering what other plants will do well in that environment.....forgive me if this is a stupid question...but i am new to the keeping of precious little life forms......

thanks in advance for any suggestions and or help

Re: plants for a cichlid tank

Vals are usually a good choice, and are actually native to some of the rift lakes, if you're doing Africans. They're sturdy, hardy plants that can usually stand up to cichlids.  :)
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

thank you Mzungu.....can i be so bold as to inquire what a "val" is????...i'm not schooled in some of the initials that you guys use on here....i'm trying to get the hang of them though...... :)

Comment

Oh, sure, I'm sorry! "Val" means Vallisneria, which is a tall-growing grass-like aquatic plant. They're quite easy to take care of, and you can usually find them in any LFS around here.
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Ferns and anubias are good cause they can be secured to driftwood or rocks instead of being buried in the substrate and since most cichlids like to dig it works out.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

thanks so much...i appreciate this alot....i'll surely post pics when my 100 is populated with my precious little life forms.....

FL

Comment

I got the same plan in mind.....

what light are you going to use on the tank for those low light plants?

advice from pros welcomed!  
              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Go with the shop light idea....they are cheap and you can even lay them all across your tank if you want to get more lighting!

Remember that the bigger tanks aren't like the small tanks so the light is much easier to obtain.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                X