soaking driftwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soaking driftwood

How long should driftwood soak before it will stop leaching, or will it always leach and tint the water? It finally stopped floating but still turning the water brown.

Re: soaking driftwood

I think it depends on the type of wood and the thickness of it.
    I bought a small piece from petco/petsmart and it sank straight away and doesnt tan the water at all.
    Some big pieces i think it can take years to stop tanning the water.

Comment

Your driftwood will continue to rot until it is all gone.

Unfortunately, wood rots. Unless kept dry and in the right environment, wood, being a natural material, eventually decays. How long it takes and how quickly it rots depends on a lot of factors. The first factor is the type of wood, and most important its density. Water will leach out the minerals and the wood will become soft.  Fish & snails will eat the soft wood.

The harder your driftwood is (iorn wood) the longer it will last.
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

What kind of driftwood is it?

dense wood sink faster or immediately. I boil mine in a giant boiler pot and continue to replace the water till it clears a bit.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

To tell you the truth I do not know? I found it at my cousins place in Smithville, Tx. I have had it fir about 7 years and just thought it would look really good in a tank I just bought. It looks like the root systems of an old tree. I'll try to post some pic of it later.

Comment

I can not find the camera, have to wait for the wife to call and tell me where it is, will post a.s.a.p. What does boiling the drift do???????

Comment

accelerates the leaching and soaks the wood.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
              X