Electric bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric bill

My electric bill has been high the past few months.  I would like to know if my tanks are that hard on the bill.  I have a 150 with a ehiem , 90 witih a eheim 2217, 40, with 2213, 40 with a mag 350, 46 with penguin 350, and about 3 other small filters.  What range is everyone else in as far as electric

Re: Electric bill

My old fish room had 3 - 15 amp circuit breakers because with the electric space heater -  I couldn't run everything on 2 circuits.

My new fish room has one circuit for lights and 1 circuit for general purpose wall recpticals (heaters & blowers)  and one ground fault circuit for the wet work.
    (filters, pumps)

In both cases I'm running about 30 amps (winter) x 24 hours x 30 days =
    22 kw / month
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

At my house it hasn't been that bad since the switch from centerpoint to reliant.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I am only guessing, but i would say your set up runs you about 20 to 30 dollars a month MAX.

I read years ago, a single 10 gallon tank with air pump, heater, and light, would cost the hobbist around $3.00 to 5.00 amonth, that was from a book I read in the library, back in the early 80ties.

CF
        Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

GExa so far for me has been the cheapest provider.

Lighting and heaters have always been my biggest user.  Most of your fitlration is 17-40 Watts ea.  

Your heaters in your tanks might be 200 ea or more.

Light strips may have one, two, or four bulbs that are 40 or 60 Watts.

So, basically your Aquarium is like having 5-9 Lights on all day?
          380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
          300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
          180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
          150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

go wind energy... it may cost a dollar or two more a month but you are doing more than most of the tree huggers... you're voting with your dollar

Comment

Sort of goes hand in hand
              I love the fish
              I learned to respect their environment
              I grow live food for my fish
              I learned to respect their micro-environment
              I believe in protecting the wet lands
              so I signed up for Green Mountain first chance I got.
              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

um..I don't think it's the eheims..most likely your heaters

out bill was like 400 last month

Comment

Is anyone making their own electricity with windmills or solar panels? Please tell us how you use it, DC or AC and for what? Does anyone have a wind powered air pump?

max

Comment

High electric bills, yeah, I know that song and dance. Since building the fish room my electric bill jumped to over 1600 a month. One of the many reasons it was decided to downsize a bit and focus on the more hardy heat/cold tolerant fish. Since reorganizing I have managed to cut the power bill back to a respectable 500. Now I can go to bed at night without fear of being murdered in my sleep.

BTW, my accountant showed my power bills to his wife so she would stop complaining about their power bill. hehe
                    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

I got my first water bill today. i figured it would be alot worse. 2 months of water and its only 15.01.

power has been under $90 in the winter. we'll see what my first summer bill is like shortly
                      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
                      n

Comment

I have one of those little solar air pumps in my guppy pond outside.  only works when the sun shines on the panel, but the fishies seem to be doing just fine.
                        The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
                        Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

You folks with high elec bills, did you see the news about some power companies "estimating" some of their accounts energy comsuption? I would recommend that you call your power company to make sure they actually read your meter, and not just estimating your bill.

I had TXU last year, and asked them to actually read my meter, they would not, so I switched to DynoWatt,  since then, my bills are about 50% of what they where.

CF
                          Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Working...
                          X