Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Substrate coarse sand?

Hi,

I read the sand vs. gravel posts and decided to go with sand however I would like to get more coarse sand (like 1-2 mm). I think the pool filter sand is too fine.
    Can you direct me to any place/store/gravel yard nearby where I could buy such a coarse sand. Also do you experience any problems with growing plants in a sand?

Re: Substrate coarse sand?

In one of my tanks, I'm going with a mixture (75/25) of fine gravel and play sand , that you can buy at home depot for about 3.50 for a 40 pound bag.
    From past experience, I can tell you cleaning it is very time consuming though.
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I've used paving sand from home depot for my softwater tanks. It doesn't seem to leach any carbonates and it has non-uniform grains, from finer particles to 1/4" pebbles mixed in. Makes for a visually interesting substrate.

As for the plants, it depends on what you are growing. I've grown anubias with no problems. If you are thinking of more iron hungry plants such as amazon swords, you might need to supplement plant pellets or job sticks.
      www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Play sand IMO is way too fine and is easily disturbed....I got some 1-2mm sand from the LFS its estes marine sand but inert, comes in 5lb bags and I think 20lbs.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I use blasting sand ($5.00 for 100# at Mccauley Lumber on Aldine Bender between 45 and Hardy Toll Road). Its courser than play sand and not as light sandy brown color. I scatter small pebbles substrate sparingly about to add to the appearance.

Comment

Working...
          X