Fall Betta Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall Betta Shows

it takes about 5 months to grow a show betta, so now is the time to make baby bettas for the fall show circuit.

This is my first spawn for the new season.

GOLD SPAWN
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Re: Fall Betta Shows

That is a beautiful pair!!!!

How does it breed out? Have extras to share
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Gold is one of the new metalic colors that was developed by crossing betta splendens with betta imbellis.

I imported this pair from Thailand as a Christmas gift for myself.

Because they are imports, I don't have any information on their background so it will be guest-a-mating dominat and recessive genetic make up of the F1 spawn.  Both parents survived the spawning with no major dammage, so I should be able to spawn them again next month.

Looks like I have about 100 fry.  I will be keeping about 4 pair to send to shows and 2 pair for breeding so I should have plenty to trade or sell on aquabid.
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

How does the importing thing work? Transhipper and such? I have always read Thai sellers selling but not doing any leg work after that as far as shipping goes.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Water from outside the US is considered potentialy hazardous waste.   The fish must be shipped to a registered transhipper in the US.  The transhiper rebaggs the fish and then ships them to the destination.   We had one show entry from thailand a few years back that was shipped directly to the show and the customs people confiscated the fish and charged the Show Chairman a fine. (and threatened prison time) even though he knew nothing about the shipment.

Most of the Thai sellers on aquabid now list the transhipper that they ship to.  The cost for them to ship 100+ fish to the transhipper is only about $5 per fish, but the cost for the transhiper to FedEx that 1 fish to you is $35+

Comment

Wow.. that's hot.

Usually the Thai importers have their own reccomended transhippers. Usually the same few people for the whole U.S. They take care of the paperwork for the international shipment. The transhippers that i know send the fish to my doorstep via USPS. Usally costs about $20+ for all shipping costs (from thailand to my doorstep)

I haven't had much luck with bettas imported from Thailand. They are ususally shipped as sub-adults (if that is an actual word "pre-adults"?).

I've had at least 6 pairs of bettas that arrived from thailand in seperate occasions which were extremely beautiful when they arrived, but all 6 pairs were non-viable as breeders.

Some of them developed undesireable spots, patterns or red wash (in the case of white or gold bettas), some of them looked awesome, but passed on some undesireable genetic traits to their offspring. I had a pair of awesome looking gold HM whose offspring all had a kink in their spinal cords. And another copper HM pair whose offspring all had misshapen ventral fins.

I think Faith from bettatalk was right when she said that when we buy bettas for breeding, we are buying genes rather than looks.
            www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Singapore Show

Comment

Whew ! That's a long drive !!

PH
                MY MANTRA: Yes, I CAN have too many fishtanks!

Comment

My breeding stock came from there but they don't drive.
                  They just spread their fins and fly/  

Comment

Awww... Singapore... that's my homeland.
                    Now i'm all homesick  :(
                    www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Just roll up the car windows and take the senic route.

max

Comment

Be sure to use lots of silicone!!! Hehehe!

Rebekah

Comment

Working...
                        X