Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X-Ray Tetra, Diseased (is it contagious?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Ray Tetra, Diseased (is it contagious?)

I bought 3 X-Ray Tetra yesterday to go in my 10 gallon tank where I have had 4 tropical guppies living healthy for the past several weeks.  I didn't examine them as closely as I should have and when I got them in my tank I noticed one was breathing rapidly.  He was swimming with quick strokes as if he were sinking.  The X-Ray Tetra have spots on the fins but I noticed a dark spot on the side of the fish near the organs (I tried to photograph the spot but the picture didn't turn out well).

I am not concerned with the individual safety of the fish, since Petsmart will give you 14 days to return the fish.  I am however concerned that if I have had a diseased fish in my tank for 24 hours if there is a chance of spreading the disease to my other fish in the tank.  I am also curious about the disease (dark spot) for future reference.  Thanks.

Re: X-Ray Tetra, Diseased (is it contagious?)

rapid breathing may be because of poor acclimation...did you just net them into your tank or how did you go about introducing them to your tank?

what are the parameters of your tank? temp, nitrates, ammonia, ph, etc if possible.

what is this spot on the fins and dark spot you are trying to describe? is it just a dark coloration of the body or an actual growth/protrusion?

To be honest, you have to go into those places expecting sick or not as healthy fish. I would return them and find a better place or better stock.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I put the bag of water in my tank for fifteen minutes and then opened the bag into the rest of the tank.  It isn't a growth, just a dark coloration.  The other two tetra seem just fine.  As soon as I opened the bag I noticed this one was swimming funny, so I am sure it isn't anything in my tank and it was a preexisting condition when I bought the fish.  I just didn't notice the problems swimming and the breathing when I had them in the bag and didn't examine them carefully enough when I bought them.  I was being callous selecting them cause when the associate asked me "which ones" I told him that I didn't care.  
      I don't have details such as temperature and ph level available.  I think it is unfair to say expect fish from Petsmart to have diseases.  I simply made the mistake that this dark spot was a marking when initially purchasing the fish, and I can return it.  You wouldn't go and buy a fish that is swimming sideways from the store cause that one is obviously swimming on the edge of life and death.  You can get good healthy fish from Petsmart, I just need to observe and choose which ones I want more closely.

Comment

You are never suppose to dip LFS water into your tank.... first lesson of fish keeping.

If it was a pre-existing condition I am sure it would have showed itself before hitting your tank water so it's either something in your tank or the parameters between the two waters are that much different and in that case drip acclimation would probably be best.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I agree, it's not a great idea to add water from any other source, no matter how reputable, into your tank.

However, if I were you I'd go out and buy one of those 5-in-1 test kits, or at least something that measures ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. These results, more than anything, will tell us how we can help. Most LFS let you bring in a water sample to test for free. Whatever you choose, make sure to write down the values you get and let us know.

As for the dark spot, it all depends on what species you mean by "X-ray tetra." It could just be a normal occurrence.
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I didn't know that about local fish store water, it makes total sense but didn't occur to me.  When I return the fish I will pick up a kit so I can get you folks more information.  And the condition of the fish may have been pre-existing but I did not notice it.  So from this I can take the learning of pick out fish more carefully and examine them, and don't mix LFS and tank waters.  Thank you.

Comment

It could have been a pre-existing condition with the fish, especially if the other 2 are doing well.

I think you're still cycling your tank, so that could also be cause for the rapid breathing. I'm glad you're going to get a test kit, that will help you TONS with cycling your tank. By testing the water, you can monitor how far along you are in the cycling process, and also know when to be on the alert. When ammonia and nitrite levels are even present, let alone in higher concentrations, your fishes will be stressed. Higher nitrate levels will also cause stress. Then once your tank is cycled, you can start your weekly maintenance schedule for water changes, which testing can also help you to become familiar with your tank's chemistry...i.e. After 6 days, the nitrate levels are above 20 ppm, time to do a water change!  :)

I would not buy any new fish until you know your tank is cycled, just to be on the safe side. But then, you're right, it's a good idea to check them out before bringing them home.

Ellen wrote a great post about drip acclimation:
              HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

I tend to do it this way for sensitive fish, but another way for most others. It's very similar to drip acclimation. I open the bag from the LFS, and dump all contents into a bucket (water + fish). Then, over a period of about 30 minutes, sometimes a bit longer, I add small amounts of tank water to the bucket every couple minutes. After a while the bucket will contain more of your tank water than the LFS water, and your fish will have been slowly acclimated to the different parameters. Then simply net the fish out of the bucket and into their new home. That way you don't get any LFS water in your tank AND the fish are not going to experience such a shock from the change of conditions.

Let us know how everything's going! And post your test results when you can.  
              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

no3 = 40
                hardiness 75
                chlorine 0.5
                alkalinity 180-200 (high)
                ph 7.8 (alkaline)
                nitrite 10 (high)

Comment

Your tank is going through a cycle....that's why they died or started to die.

You need to have the NitrIte at 0 and when that happens you should do a water change to bring down the NitrAtes(N03). I have never tested for chlorine but maybe that should be at 0.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

how would you suggest I bring down the nitrite level?

Comment

leave it alone to cycle.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

AHHH!!!  I came home and now one of my guppies has spots on both sides and his fins have dark spots.  Whatever got in my tank is spreading!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by djmatthewblack";p="
                          one of my guppies has spots on both sides
                          Can you describe the spots?

What temperature are you running the tank at? Do you use any salt in the tank?

Comment

Nothing makes more of an impression than when you mess up and you lose one of your precious lovelies!

Most of you have bought fish at the local fish store (LFS) and had some helpful employee remind you to float the bag for half an hour before you release them.

Do not bring home new fish if you don't have a quaranteen tank (tub or bucket) set up & ready with all the things you normally use for a water change, a pinch of salt, a little aquasol, etc.

Some fish stores keep their fish in RO water, some do not. Even if the store uses the local water supply, you should know that the local water supply in your location is more than likely a lot different from the local water supply at the store.   Fish that have been netted, stuffed in a bag, packed inside a dark box, shipped to a wholesaler and dumped into a big tank, cought and shipped to a retailer and dumped into the store tank, then cought and bagged and carried home, have suffered enough stress. Do your best to not add to a bad situation. Your water will be a different temperature, hardness, pH, etc.
                            Place your new goodies and the water that came with them in a small container and add some of your water (half as much).  Wait an hour and add more water.  Continue until the temp in the bucket is the same as the temp in your quarinteen tank, then move your new goodies to the quaranteen tank and throw out the water they came in.

All new plants, fish & critters should be treated with preventive meds & placed in a quarinteen tank for a couple of weeks or untill you are convinced that they didn't pickup the plague during their travels.
                            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Tank is at 80 degrees.  Yes, I do have salt in the tank.  The spot is on the lower back side of the fish.  I've also noticed on another one, the end of the tale is grey/blackish on the end of the tail fin on both the rainbow guppy and a blue one.  The rainbow has markings but I am pretty sure they weren't there a few days ago.

I just put some pictures in the gallery.

Comment

Working...
                              X