Looking for tips and or advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for tips and or advice

When I first started keeping fish, (back in the 80ties) I didn't really pay much attention to the fish's environment. I fed them, put twice as many filters on the tank as I should have (because I didn't want to do all that boring water maintenance work) and pretty much forgot about them until the next grizzley feeding session. They where "cool" and I was pretty much just keeping them for the amusement factor.  Well that got old pretty quick.

After a few years of feeding carnivors, I got more into the tank itself, and how it looked, but still, I avoided getting into the fish's basic needs and the important details surrounding each species. It was not until I gave up on "messy" eaters, and happened to buy a couple of neat looking little fish that I really did not know too much about. They where a couple of young brichardi's. They turned out to be the reason why I started thinking more about the fish and what they needed. Those two grew up to be very beautiful and dedicated parents, which started me thinking about their needs more so than what my needs where when it came to keeping fish. After these two Brichardi mysteriously disappeared from my my tank, I gave up on fish for a few years.

With that said,

I've recently purchased two new tanks,  a 75 & 125. My thinking at this time is to make the 75 gallon tank, a species only tank for brichardi, (which I intent to raise), and the 125 will be a community tank of various yet compatible cichlids. I have very little experience with cichlids and I would like to hear from those of you who may have been down the same road as myself, or have just been more passionate about keeping and or raising fish.

I am not a stanger to forums like this, and I do, when time is available, try to find the information I need thru prior postings, but I would also like to hear first hand comments if you have one.

Thanks for your time.

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Re: Looking for tips and or advice

How exciting!

I'll leave the recommendations for the Cichlid people here on HFB (I've only got 2 apisto. cacatuoides). But if you have any idea what kind of cichlids you're interested in, such as those from SA, or Africans (besides brichardis  :) ), it could help narrow down the immense number of possibilities! If you don't have any preference, that's fine also. Just wondering!    And if you can, show us some photos of your 75g setup!
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Not knowing cichlids very well yet, I can only add that I am wanting to stay with the less agressive varity, especially those who might fair well with Brichardi's. I've seen a few I like but need to find out about their personalities before bagging them.

Thanks for your reply

PS.....Sun Conure?
      Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Jenday!
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Brichardi are really great comunity fish.  I've kept them with Kribs, convicts and an assortment of medium to small cichlids in a 40g long.
          I should say they were great for about 18 months and then they paired off and killed everybody else in the tank before spawning.
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

AGREED!!!! Brichardi become blood thirsty killers once mated!

but for the 125g I think you chould pick a Region/Lake and find all that will work together from the same area and run with it!

I would step out and suggest Tanganyika cichlids!
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
            X