Freshwater to Saltwater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freshwater to Saltwater

I want to transfer my freshwater tank to a fish only saltwater tank, ive been doing african Cichlids for about 3 yrs now im getting bored of them, i need to know if my 30 gallon tank is big enough, and whats all the equiptment i would need to start, im not worried about money, well i dont want to spend alot but im willing to spend a lil pocket change, so can yall plz help

Re: Freshwater to Saltwater

Your 30g is ok. Some saltwater people think the bigger the eaiser. Try marshreef.com if you want info on doing a saltwater tank. Saltwater can get expensive. Some guy told me he spent over $10k on his 160g .

Comment

it depends what kind of livestocks you are planning to keep.  corals and inverts are gona need more equipments (lights, protein skimmer, sumps, live rocks, sand, ca reactor, chiller, tests,  so its more expensive.  if fish only, then the cost is a lot cheaper.

Comment

If you want to collect the native seahorses and fish in galveston bay, it gets to be very inexpensive
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Jose's right - try visiting www.marshreef.com for info on saltwater stuff. You'll probably get more help over there, as it's a saltwater forum.  :)
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

30 gallon is definitely enough to start with.

IMO, i would advise against a "fish only" tank. You should have a good amount of live rock which will provide benifical bacteria, coraline algae and lots of little pods and critters which will help keep the tank clean.

But be forewarned, if it is your first SW tank, it will get to be pretty expensive. Here's a shopping list to consider.

Salt
            Heater
            Aragonite sand
            RO/DI (Not absolutely necessary but highly reccomended to keep nutirents and heavy metals down and for top up water)
            Skimmer (highly reccomended if you want to keep your WC's down)
            Filtration (must have good water flow)
            Saltwater Test Kits (Ca++, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite)
            Live Rock (real expensive)
            Hydrometer
            Fish + clean up crew
            Various chemicals to dose. e.g Calcium (kalkwasser) which the algae depletes very quickly.

check out reefcentral.com. That's an awsome resource which helped me get started
            www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Working...
            X