Clamped fins???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clamped fins???

Any ideas...We got an Obliquendens male (apporx. 5"), and it always has its fins clamped and swimming rather sluggish. He only swims w/ any type of vigor if another fish kinda chases him. But I can still net him w/ little to no effort. We picked him up from the auction as part of a breeding trio, and he's been in isolation for the majority of the time since then. The females that came w/ him is doing excellent in a mainly Malawi tank. It's just him that I can't pinpoint a possible problem w/ him. His colors are washed out and as I said b4 he's lethargic. HOWEVER, he will eat!!! I put food in the tank, and he isn't too shy about eating. So I'm like... If I put him in the net breeder which hangs on the inside of the tank, he still eats and at times seems to enjoy that better than the open space of the tank.

So again, I ask, my fellow HFB member:  ANY IDEAS???

Re: Clamped fins???

Sounds like a grandpa fish to me. An old fish. Most of my older fish seem to lose the color right before they kick it to the next world. I am not putting no vodo heck on it, but just from my knowledge, when my males start getting washed out colors, I see the end is coming.

Comment

He's been in isolation - do you mean by himself in a tank? Have you tested the water at all? Does he perk up after water changes?

Hope he's not on his way out.  :(
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Sounds like he may be getting picked on or really stressed out, worst case it's some sort of parasite/disease.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Yeah, the water was fine, and he was in insolation by himself. When we had him in the tank w/ the others, as long as he swims like the others, then he fine. But when he's just floating...or should I say aimlessly swimming and bumping into stuff THEN he becomes a target somewhat b/c he's just as big as the others. But I have seen them kinda bump him a lil' bit like "Move ya *** b/c we tryna chase some ***"...got a few females in the tank.

So I'm hoping parasite/disease isn't the case b/c I don't know where I would find a replacement male about 5" to close up my girl's mouth. Not that's she a nag b/c she's not. BUT she will make sure that I understand that that would be my newest mission...you know what I mean Sooner...some things gotta be done to keep the peace!!!! Fortunately for me it is buying my girl some fish. But even if it's old age, he's still gonna have to be replaced b/c the females are active...my girl had a talk w/ them...they've talked about it...rather extensively, and well...they want kids!!!  8O

So any other ideas ya'll????

Comment

Do you remember any of the numbers from the tests? And do you have a picture of him?
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I could work on the pix. Can't really remember the exact #'s for the hosp. tank nor the main tank b/c I don't write them down. BUT I do remember checking them and the parameters were good.

Comment

He is probably just stressed from getting picked on.  I have a little Empress male that is doing the same thing.  He is a bit smaller than the others but he stays hidden in the rocks or up by the inlet tube to my filter.

Comment

I understand the stress thing, but even in the hosp. tank??? He's been like this for about...since the auction...is that possible?

Comment

Being bagged stresses him
                    Moving into a new home = stress
                    Others settling in before him = stress
                    Being in caged in a breeder = stress
                    Cramped = stress

Stress = weakened immune system
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

So what do you suppose I do EK?

Comment

What I would do if all the water params are good is add a bit of salt to the water to ease the stress and have only the male in the tank for a week or so removing the females to another tank.

That way the male can feel secure and feel like he's a man and mark his territory. After that introduce the females back in.

Also some good meaty treats shouldn't hurt, an occasional frozen brine shrimp or mysis shrimp.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I was thinkin' about the mark his territory idea, and I do use the African Cichlid salt by Seachem for all of their water changes. I didn't, however, think about the food idea though. So thanks...obviously you've been around the block a few times...good lookin' out.

Well here come tank #22 :crazy:

Comment

Working...
                          X