How Smart can a Plant be, anyway.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Smart can a Plant be, anyway.

Like can a plant tell how much you paid for substrate ? I am betting , No.
    I have started planting my 125; masonery/torpedo sand from a building site, red clay from a local pit , peat moss from the garden shop and 13/13/13 from the local feed store. So far I am well below a dollar; maybe at that cost I have to call it dirt instead of substrate.
    One suprise, the masonry sand (on top of the rest) left the water very clear. I learned last time not to use much peat, this time ,about one gallon volume. When I used much more it turned the water the color of iced tea for months of water changes.
    Now to see if plants will grow in it.

Re: How Smart can a Plant be, anyway.

That last statement is what matters and some of the better substrates that has what it takes to grow lush plants cost some money, some more than others.

why not just take dirt from outside to use? It grows grass and other plants so why wouldn't it work? In an aquarium the nutrients are leached into the water colum.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Re: How Smart can a Plant be, anyway.

Good substrate is like a good multi-vitamin.

Will you die if you dont take them? No

Will you be super fit if you do take them? No

Do they contain useful nutrients that may not get otherwise? Yes

Substrate isn't everything, but it can have properties in it that are beneficaial to what your doing.

From the gob of stuff your mixing up, it sounds a bit like the au nautural style of planted tanks I've read about on other forums. If you really want to be 'hardcore', as Log puts it, then only use sunlight for lighting. I dont know what the rules are for heaing I didn't get that far into it.

As long as you tend to them and provide adequate care I'm sure they will be fine. In the end it all comes down to personal preference.
      Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's, Houstons premier fish club.

David Seratt
      Co-President of CAK

Comment

Working...
      X