Poopey Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poopey Problem

I love my fish and I love my aquarium...but i feel like most of my day is spent fishing for poops.

Is it the sand?? I feel like everytime I turn around the nice tan sand is littered with brown little packages!!!

Should I set my eheim lower??
    Is there anything that I can do or buy to suck up poops on a daily basis??? I can't stand looking at them any longer.
    Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
    Alexa Rae
    Co-President of CAK
    MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Re: Poopey Problem

Do what I do... buy darker substrate :)

How many times per hour is the water turned over in your tank?
    Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's, Houstons premier fish club.

David Seratt
    Co-President of CAK

Comment

I have no clue what that means. I have a Eheim 2217, a Eheim 2215 and a Magnum 350 filtering.

I thought I had "overkill" filtration as it is. I guess I'm going to have to filter until my fish start hitting the aquarium walls (just kidding).

Maybe I'll try to invent a "poop eater" machine.
      You may be talking to the next Texas millionaire. (:
      Alexa Rae
      Co-President of CAK

Comment

If you do make one, Scotts wife will be your first customer :P

oh btw, on the question I asked, ok.. lets say you have a 55 gallon tank, and your filter runs 110 gallons per hour, then you are running every drop of water through your filter twice per hour, or turning your tank over twice per hour.

I'm not sure what your exact turnover rate is, but, unless you are keeping your fish in a swimming pool I'm sure the water is WAAAAY more than adequately filtered, and if the looks of the poop are a pretty bad, and it were me, I'd probably just get a darker substrate, you can't stop the poop, but you can mask it, if you do decide to do that, and need a loaner tank to house the fish in while you do it, I have a 55 gallon oceanic sitting on my porch I could loan you...temporarily...with a deposit....and approved credit.

and collateral

maybe.

David Seratt
        Co-President of CAK

Comment

lmao.

I have a 100 gallon and too many tanks to count. But thank you kindly for your offer of the 55 gallon...

maybe....

kinda...

with approved credit....and my dog for collateral.

*hands over dog*
          Just kidding but thank you for the offer.
          Just a random question, how do you have a tank on your porch??
          I must hand it to you, you are hardcore.

(:
          Alexa Rae
          Co-President of CAK

Comment

gah ahhahaha, I wish!

nah it's actually just sitting there..

I've got it and either a 30-40 gallon tank.

The 55 gallon I'm going to give to my Father-in-law soon as I can find a cheap (like..freeish) type stand for it, I already have everything else to set it up (but the fish).

the 30something gallon I dont really have any plans for, I keep it as a "just in case" tank.. hospitilization or whatever else may come up. No more FEMA buckets for me :)

I did consider doing a 'natural' style setup with it as an experiment though, i read about them on apc.. basically, you stick in dirt and plants and water and somehow this is supposed to thrive.

Prolly not in my case, but it is interesting. I get the saltwater bug from time to time too.. but so far I've been able to resist it. kindof.

But enough about me.. what kind of dog do you have? I could use a new guard puppy  :P  

David Seratt
            Co-President of CAK

Comment

lol...a $1300 mean ball of fluff. "Malti-poo"

He's a lady lover...no men for him. He'd love the helper babies. (:

I had the FEMA buckets too during my 100 gallon move. Mine bowed like a...well, I don't know anything that bows, lol. But it bowed out terribly. It ended up cracking so I put them in a large garbage can *brand new of coarse* and oddly...trash cans apparently have tiny holes all over them. So...my trash can looked like a porky-pine (however you spell it) spitting water everywhere....blah. It was such a mess. They ended up in about 35 tupperware containers. Just my luck, all the big ones were dirty. I had tupperware so small...an olive would have been a squeeze. lol.
              I don't know why tupperware would ever be made that small. Maybe to put the remainder of a ketchup packet in the fridge. Needless to say, I was frustrated.
              Alexa Rae
              Co-President of CAK

Comment

and people say fishkeeping is a stress reliever :P

David Seratt
                Co-President of CAK

Comment

Maybe you could point one of the spray bars or outtake tubes towards the substrate? Not enough to blow the sand around, but enough to move the poop so it can be sucked out. Or maybe put a little water pump (the kind with suction cups) on the side of the tank at the bottom, close to the substrate, to move the poop around. Don't know if it would work, but just an idea.  :)
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Two words..........Power Heads.
                    Raul
                    PokerFace

Comment

In my tanks the poops settles in particular areas so when I go to do w/c's it makes it really easy to siphon most of the crap out.

If you have good enough filtration maybe do what Raul stated and get a powerhead and maybe put it on a timer so that it circulates the ground which would force the poop into the water column.
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I have lots of filtration...maybe even too much.

I'm scared of powerheads (I have lots of shrimp) and a frog....I don't want them to get sucked up or pushed around.

Will the powerheads badger them too badly?
                        Alexa Rae
                        Co-President of CAK

Comment

If you want the fish to poop less,
                          all you have to do is feed them less!  

Try some cories or some snails to keep the bottom stirred up.
                          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

You can put a sponge or a pre-filter over the powerhead intake to keep the shrimp from being chopped up.
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

My Tiger shrimp just cringed.
                              But hey...it's worth a try.
                              Alexa Rae
                              Co-President of CAK

Comment

Working...
                              X