is this really ICH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this really ICH?

We bought four Burmese Botias from Petsmart on 290 & Spring Cypress over two weeks ago and put them in our 20g QT.  We noticed one of them had a white spot on it that we didn't see at the store.  We started treatment for ICH using Quick Cure, put in an airstone, lowered the water level to let the water oxygenate even more, and the temp is at 82F.

It's two weeks later and the spot hasn't gone away, none of the other Botias show any spots.  One of the smaller ones flashes once in a while but it's not often.  There are absolutely no other signs of ICH other than the one spot.

We've done the water changes and cleanings.

We're wondering if this is even ICH because we'd have thought that if it was and the Quick Cure didn't work, we'd see more infestations.  We would have thought that the spot (cyst) on the one would have gone through the life cycle long ago.

Could this be something else?

Re: is this really ICH?

I'm thinking the same thing - not ich. Does it seem to irritate him at all?

I don't want to guess at what it could be, but if it doesn't appear to be affecting him at all, or the other 3, I'd just keep up with the regular maintenance. Can you describe the spot at all, or is it just a white spot? Meaning, does it have a fungus-like appearance, or something similar.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

turn up the temp on the tank for a couple days and see what happens to the spot

Comment

Looks like ich to me.... also looks like he has one on his rear pelvic/anal fin
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

It looks like it because we think he has others now too.  Why has it taken so long for them to spread?  We thought the Quick Cure should have worked by now.  Maybe that stuff isn't the correct meds for them.  We've looked at the tank where he/she was from and they're all clear..the rest in the tank are all clear.  Weird.

Any other meds that might work besides the temp increase?

Comment

Quick Cure is a good medication for ich, if that's what it is. Just make sure you use half the dose for your loaches.

However, I'm still not convinced, because it hasn't spread quickly, and the same spot is still there after a couple weeks.

Try looking up lymphocystis on the web. I wouldn't medicate until you're sure what this is, because if it's the wrong med it will just cause unneeded stress, and that won't help the fish get better!  :)
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
            X