Older Tank In Need Of New Seal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older Tank In Need Of New Seal?

I was lucky enough to be given a 55 Gallon Hex Aquarium, Hood & Stand.  The guy said he has had it for a few years and it has been empty for about a year.  He also said the person he got it from had the tank a few years as well.  While starting to clean it up I noticed a sticker that said March 15, 1988.  I haven't filled it with water yet but he said it doesn't leak.  My question is should I just go ahead and reseal it before I fill it anyway because it's older?  

I have resealed a 20 Tall once before - and it's a job!!  I also have a 4 year old & 1 year old that like to keep my days pretty busy, so is there anyone here that maybe could do it for a fee?  I'm sure I could find spare time here and there but I want to make sure it gets done correctly.  Thanks in advance!!

Re: Older Tank In Need Of New Seal?

I have a tank from the 80's that still has its original seal.
    If the seal looks good, id fill it with water and leave it outside for a week.

Comment

I agree with Brownsnoutuk. I too have old tanks that hold water just fine. However, if the seal looks in poor condition, I would go ahead and reseal it. Resealing is a chore. I just finished resealing a 210 myself. I noticed that you are in South Houston. If I remember correctly, Aqua Zoo and a fish store on Kleckley Rd. by Almeda Mall will do it for a fee. Neither are "cheap" though. I'd help out if I had the time.

Let us know what you decide.
      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

If it aint broke - dont fix it !

find some place level (garage or back yard) and fill it up and wait for a couple of weeks.  If you find a leek, mark it with a sharpie and make sure you do a good job resealing that area.

I would not seal a tank without testing it unless it had been used for reptiles or rodents and they had clawed the silicone in all the corners
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Thank you all for your replies.  I will fill the tank sometime this weekend in my backyard and watch for leaks.  I really hope there isn't any as I would love to start setting this tank up.

Comment

Just wanted to give a quick update:  I filled the tank on Sunday and no leaks yet as of today.  I'll wait untill this Weekend before I drain it and bring it inside just to be sure.  Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Be sure to get any mosquito larva out of there, if you have any! Plus, fish love them!
              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu";p="
                Be sure to get any mosquito larva out of there, if you have any! Plus, fish love them!
                I covered the tank because I didn't want anything to get in there.  Mainly my kids or my cat who is always sneaking in the backyard.  But I will check for the larva because they are small and can always find a way - thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X