wild betta spawning - first time betta breeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wild betta spawning - first time betta breeding

I went to the betta auction last Saturday and bought a beautiful blue/pink BF male betta splendens. I also went home with a pair of wild caught bettas (though I don't know what species, possibly imbellis or smaragdina though my fish don't have any red on them). Now that they've had a few days to calm down they've really colored up (they looked almost albino when they first got home). Yesterday I woke up to a bubble nest and today they've started spawning. Dad doesn't seem to be doing a great job though. There are some eggs in the nest (maybe 40 or so), but the whole time I was watching he didn't grab any of the eggs that fell (out of mom) and put them in the nest. He just watched them fall to the ground where mom ate them. Do males sometimes do this on their first spawn? Or are some dads better than others? How do I know when they're done spawning? When he chases the female away? Also, when should I start feeding the babies? And, does anyone have a culture of some live food and can spare a bit for a starter? What's the easiest food to 'grow'? I've only ever raised BBS before. Does the male need to come out of that tank once the babies hatch? I was told these were community fish and the parents could live in the same tank as the babies. Any information would be appreciated.

Katie

EDIT: Have now been identified as betta sp. mahachai
    Current Setup
    20L
    6 guppies, 1 dwarf platy, 2 pepperd corys, 1 emerald cory, 1 ghost shrimp

5.5G
    4 bronze corys, 1 otocinclus, 2 mystery snails, lots of algae

Re: wild betta spawning - first time betta breeding

I have just a little knowledge of Bettas but I'm sure PhishPhreek will be along with better information for you.  Yes, when their through spawning the male will chase the female away and she should be removed to a place of safety.  The babies should be fed when they start free swimming at which time the male should also be removed.  Yes, some dads are better than others, he may get better with a few more spawns to his record.  I have a micro worm culture you could have some of but I'm quite a distance from Baytown.  

As far as leaving the fry with the parents I can you tell that Bettas will only eat two things.  Things that don't move and will fit in their mouth and things (fry) that do move and will fit in their mouth  8O

Oh and congrats on the spawn  :emtthumbs:
    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

I saw the male starting to chase the female pretty viciously, so I stuck a divider in the tank until I can set her up in another one. She looks pretty beat up, but I understand that is normal. I was glad that I had read about betta breeding about a month ago. After the spawning embrace, seeing the female just floating there would be pretty upsetting if I hadn't known she'd be stunned for a few seconds. I read this article about leaving the male betta with the babies. It sounds pretty interesting. I don't know if I'll try this with this batch of babies because it's my first one, but I might try it later. Bettas have lots more personality than other fish I've kept. They're fast becoming a favorite of mine.  

Thanks for the offer of the microworms, it's really nice of you, but I don't think I'll be able to make it to the Heights before I need to feed them something. I was reading online some more and it looks like they'll become free swimming in 24-48 hours, but can live on the yoke for 3 days. Does that sound about right?  So I should start feeding them on Friday? This seems way more complicated than breeding guppies.
      Current Setup
      20L
      6 guppies, 1 dwarf platy, 2 pepperd corys, 1 emerald cory, 1 ghost shrimp

5.5G
      4 bronze corys, 1 otocinclus, 2 mystery snails, lots of algae

Comment

Congratulations on your new spawn.
        My comunity tank of wild bettas is a 20L with lots of driftwood & plants (some place to run & hide)  You may find that big brothers & sisters are the worst predators of betta fry.
        If your female looks bad, remove her to an isolation tank (big jar) and treat her with betta fix or an almond leaf.
        With splenden spawns I remove the male after I see the fry swimming back up to the nest on their own. (or when he starts eating them)
        Yes, the fry can live off of their egg yoke for 3 days and can eat BBS at about 7 days.   in between I feed microworms, or infusoria or viniger eels
        You should try raising all 3 and then stick with the one that works best for you.
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

More info on the Mahachai

FYI this is a brackish water betta and on the endangered species list
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Working...
          X