rare fish... anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rare fish... anyone?

does anyone have something that noone has? list...
    Plecos:
    L083 (Gibby)
    L104 (Clown)
    L147 (Peckoltia sp.)
    L155 (A. Hystrix)
    L310 (Red Fin Bruno)
    LDA72 (BN)
    LDA76 (False Zebra)
    Rineloricaria parva (whiptail)
    Rineloricaria lancelota

Re: rare fish... anyone?

No one has or rarely seen amongst hobbyist? It is hard to say what is rare with all the really cool LFS we have here compared to other states/countries. Some things that are like "hen's teeth" in the state over is more like UFO's here.

Here are what I have and why I define them as rare in the order from Rare to not so......

-L046 zebra plecos....no new wild collections allowed and breeders rarely want to sell.
    -Tropheus Moorii Ilang...A lot less wild collection and the ones that are being sold now are really high compared to previous pricing.
    -Tiger shrimp...though they have shown up in our LFS I still think they are pretty rare.
    -Celestial Danios... A few months after their discovery and now they are on the verge of extinction...didn't leave much time for studies to be established IMO.
    -Moba Frontosa...There are some here in Houston but most came from where? Two main breeding colonies.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Good point, ek. It's hard to determine what's rare in the hobby. I'll do the same as you and take it from my perspective.

Aplocheilichthys normani: My "rarest" fish - I've spent a total of about 4-5 years trying to find them, which makes them rare in my book. To make a long story short, the most recent wait was about 2 years on constant lookout. I had one male left, and he's been alone for about a year. But I got them this weekend!! (Thanks to AquaZoo and Rehoboth Aquatics!!) I now have a total of 17, well, 16 WCs and one unknown.  

What about you, Armadillo?
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

In the cichlid community, Tropheus Ujiji is very rare.  I have been closely watching African exporter list for over 10 years, and Ujiji is extremely rare.

But...there are some Petrochromis that are even more rare than any Tropheus.

So...back to the question what do you have that is rare, I have Tropheus Ujiji.  I am most likely (1) out of a dozen people in North America that has a wild colony.
        380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
        300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
        180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
        150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

well for me also its the length of time searching and also comparing to other LFSs' both in and around central to east texas...

but:

Sumbu Dwarf Comp. - isearched all over the internet and found them in San Antonio by DAve's Rare Fish (who has people breed them in the hill country)
          Vieja Zonatus - F1, i only know one guy that breeds them in all of east texas, and couldn't find any in central texas
          Gymnogeophagus Balzanii "Rio Uruguay" - He is alot more yellow and his fins are longer than most balzanii
          Vieja Guttulata - mixed with synspillia at a LFS
          L106 (orange spotted seam) - mixed in a batch of mango plecs

Had:
          Caquetia Spectabilis
          L270
          ornate bichir
          Plecos:
          L083 (Gibby)
          L104 (Clown)
          L147 (Peckoltia sp.)
          L155 (A. Hystrix)
          L310 (Red Fin Bruno)
          LDA72 (BN)
          LDA76 (False Zebra)
          Rineloricaria parva (whiptail)
          Rineloricaria lancelota

Comment

Those are some cool looking little fish Mzungu!

You are right Geoff, the Ujiji's aren't a common thing in the market!
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i have a one eyed african cichilid.  either he got hurt when a fry or it never developed.  but he is an offspring of my africans.  the only one to survive

Comment

I'd like to think my MBU is rare. Suprisingly Fish R Us sells a few.

PS. a google of Celestial Danios brings up this page on the first page.
                Same for MBU puffer on another topic.
                Houston fish box is the best.
                "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
                n

Comment

Ive got Tyrannochromis macrostoma and Tyrannochromis nigriventer. Not exactly rare but I dont know of anyone anywhere that has them.
                  - When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the damn lemons back!

Comment

Working...
                  X