Missouri City water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missouri City water?

I'm totally new to fish and am trying to start my first aquarium. I bought a 5 in 1 test and found that my tap water is moderate hardness but the buffering and pH are off the chart (high). Is this typical of Houston area water? Is it worth (or necessary?) to fight it or do I need to find fish that can adapt to it? Not knowing how it affects pH, I did a test in a glass and put a bunch of drops to lower chlorine, etc but that didn't change the levels at all. Any thoughts/comments on what fish are best or how to lower buffering/pH levels would be greatly appreciated. Assuming i get it under control, will partial changes alter this level enough to harm the fish? I have a 29 gal tank I'm hoping to fill with a couple different types for my son.

Thanks,
    M

Re: Missouri City water?

By buffering, you mean alkalinity, right? Houston water is usually high on the pH end, and also usually pretty hard. But at my location, the buffering capacity starts off on the low end and decreases pretty rapidly, so I'd consider you a bit lucky! Is there any way you can post the numbers you got on the test, just so we can determine just how typical it looks? (Another thing, make sure you're testing the water in something that is completely devoid of any soap residue, as that can alter the test results significantly.) The numbers can also help us to recommend fishes for you, depending on how high it is.

The good thing is that if you're buffering capacity is high, that means your pH levels won't swing too much. Stability is one of the most important things in an aquarium, and your fish will appreciate a stable environment over one that fluctuates (because you have to alter your water every time you do a water change and because afterwards, the pH will automatically rise again because of your buffering).

Dechlorinating drops shouldn't change any of these levels, so that's okay. But you're on the right track in wondering about altering your water. Partials will be more of a chore if you choose to alter the water chemistry. But, with what you have, there are MANY different fishes that would do well. Even those with requirements of a little lower pH can thrive if the tank's stable. Let us know what you're thinking about in terms of species, if anything.

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to the hobby!!
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

since i don't have fish in the tank the nitrite and nitrate levels are 0. total hardness looks like it's between 50 and 120. alkalinity/buffering capacity is bright blue which isn't a color on the scale meaning > 300. pH is bright pink, also off the chart > 8.4. i just read they make high level tests so maybe i'll try to find some of those to get a better reading. i also just read that i can start the cycling process without needing fish so now i'm not completely sure which fish i want. until then i was looking at some cheap/hardy fish that i liked that could handle the process.

i don't really like most of the small fish that i see recommended like danios, etc. the local fish store said a red tail shark would be ok but i haven't read anything that confirms that. i'm trying to find others that might be ok too. maybe black phantoms? if i can get it cycled first then i'll probably choose different fish. i think i'd like to get some black skirt tetras too. maybe some corys or cherry barbs for more color. they tank is pretty vertical so i think it'll look nice if i can make a community take with some fish staying in the bottom/middle and others in the middle/top.

thanks for your reply.

Comment

The Pasadena water is

300 ppm GH (General Hardness), 60 ppm KH (Carbonate Hardness), 7.8 pH, 0.25ppm Ammonia, 0 ppm Nitrite and Nitrate

I add some baking soda to keep the KH higher so the pH will not go lower if I cannot do weekly or biweekly water changes in my tank.

So, you are really lucky if your KH values are that high.

You need to be careful on some sharks, and some tetras.  The higher pH, and higher hardness values can kill them.  I have seen rummy nose tetras that had their faces disentigrate and died over a week period because of it.
        380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
        300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
        180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
        150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

quick question/addition.

what do you use to get rid of chlorine and chloramines? my tank came with something that is supposed to reduce chlorine but doesn't say anything about chloramines. i've read they are different. is there anything that works best for houston water or is this a non-issue? thanks.

Comment

Definitely get something that says both chlorine and chloramines. We have a few threads on here about which brand and what not, I'll go find them real quick and post a link.  :)

Comment

Seems to be between Amquel and Prime... :)

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

Comment

Thanks for the links! I should have searched first.

Comment

I use both Seachem Prime and AMQUEL.  I have used AMQUEL and AMQUEL PLUS**(newer product) for 17 years.  I only recently started using PRIME to check it out.

The Prime is one capful to 50 gallons, Amquel is one capful to 10 gallons.

So the PRIME should last longer, meaning more waterchanges, and both products perform in the same, or atleast to appear to do so thus far.
                  380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                  300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                  180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                  150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Working...
                  X