Knee-u-bee to the forum and to the fish keeping hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knee-u-bee to the forum and to the fish keeping hobby

Hello, Im 23, and i just recently got the urge to own a aquarium. I guess cuz i always wanted fish and i like the way they look in a house. Since i just bought my own house a few months ago, i decided to make it look nice with a 20 gal long aquarium. Yes i know it's not big, but i wanted to start out with a small one just incase i decided to get out the hobby. So far im loving it, the only thing that took me by a little suprise is how expensive it gets after a while. It's not as expensive as my other hobbies, But it's relaxing and my 2yr old loves it, top of that i think it's pretty fun to take car of them.

Well the main reason i joined the forum is to get some good info, and help if i ever need it...which i know i will. Also some good fish stores that yall might know of around my area. (Houston/Katy)

Well im ganna snoop around, ask any questions if u have any.

Re: Knee-u-bee to the forum and to the fish keeping hobby

Welcome to the box!!!

There is a list of LFS up in the announcements section up top and there are retailere feedbacks section towards the bottom of the forum.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

welcome , glad to have you
      Never fear I is here
      David Abeles
      Vice President
      Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

welcome to the box!
        Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
        Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
        Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
        Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Welcome to HFB and to the hobby! Hopefully you won't decide to get out of the hobby - we won't let you give up!  :)

What kind of fish are/will be in the 20g?
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

hi and welcome
            fish keeping is like being with a woman...you need lots of time and effortto make it work

Comment

HI!! 8)

Comment

Thanks for the welcome all!!!

Originally posted by Mzungu";p="
                Welcome to HFB and to the hobby! Hopefully you won't decide to get out of the hobby - we won't let you give up!  :)

What kind of fish are/will be in the 20g?
                I have Afican Cichlids 8, Sucker fish 1 and a....lobster/shrimp/crawfish 1...i dont know exactly. The place i bought it had it labeled as red lobsters, but i think it's a crawfish.

I started out with 6 cichlids, 2 red claw crabs, 3 "crawfish", sucker fish. Long story short, i should of read/asked if cichlids are agressive. They ate 2 crabs, 3 small crawfish so i bought three big crawfish, and only one is still alive...bearly.

Comment

FYI - Cichlids are agressive.
                  Raul
                  PokerFace

Comment

I had those "demon fish" in my 75 gallon. They basically tore eachother up and ripped my pleco's eyes out!!!

Maybe mine were just possessed. (:

I hated those things.
                    Too bad...they're so beautiful.

I'm in the Katy area too. Near Cinco Ranch.
                    The best LFS around here may be "Fish R Fun". Just be sure to isolate your fish first (learned that the hard way). But his cichlids are beautiful and he has great prices.

If I were you, I'd just make the drive over to Fish Ranch and City Pets.

Welcome. (:
                    Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
                    Alexa Rae
                    Co-President of CAK
                    MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by alexarae";p="
                      I had those "demon fish" in my 75 gallon. They basically tore eachother up and ripped my pleco's eyes out!!!

Maybe mine were just possessed. (:

I hated those things.
                      Too bad...they're so beautiful.

I'm in the Katy area too. Near Cinco Ranch.
                      The best LFS around here may be "Fish R Fun". Just be sure to isolate your fish first (learned that the hard way). But his cichlids are beautiful and he has great prices.

If I were you, I'd just make the drive over to Fish Ranch and City Pets.

Welcome. (:
                      Yeah, i acually bought all my supplies to get started from him. I also bought all my fish from him...or should i say "demon fish".
                      Ur right next to me. Im on Fry rd.

I accually want to sell all my chichlids and get some barbs or some tetra's.  I dont know where i can sell them @.

Comment

you can sell most fish back to a LFS (local fish store), or you can post them on this site to sell them. Good luck. I'd say teatras would probably be better suited for a 20 gallon tank in the long run anyhow.

Regards
                        Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                        Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                        Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                        Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

He will buy them back from you. He bought mine back from me. (:

Unfortunately, you will only get a decent price if you get store credit. Which I would be careful for because the tetras he has...usually have cotton mouth.  :?

Anyhow, I buy slate from him by the truck load and you can sell me your store credit for the same price if you choose to take that route. It makes no difference to me.

We need to petition for a decent LFS in Katy.

Kind Regards,
                          Alexa
                          Alexa Rae
                          Co-President of CAK

Comment

Originally posted by alexarae";p="
                            He will buy them back from you. He bought mine back from me. (:

Unfortunately, you will only get a decent price if you get store credit. Which I would be careful for because the tetras he has...usually have cotton mouth.  :?

Anyhow, I buy slate from him by the truck load and you can sell me your store credit for the same price if you choose to take that route. It makes no difference to me.

We need to petition for a decent LFS in Katy.

Kind Regards,
                            Alexa
                            Cotton mouth? What does that mean? Slate? as in rock slate or is that a fish term?

Originally posted by armthehomeless";p="
                            LFS (local fish store), or you can post them on this site to sell them.
                            Regards
                            Thanks for clearing the LFS up for me, i was along the lines of a "fish store" but now i know.

Comment

Actual Slate....rock. (: I have many aquariums (and my 100 gallon baby) and they are all mostly decorated with slate.

Also, cotton mouth is a fungus of the mouth that I have found very hard to cure.
                              It looks like they ate a cotton ball and it's stuck in their mouths. And even if you are lucky enough to cure it...the lip (and sometimes head) is eaten away.

EEKKKK!!!
                              Just be careful.
                              If you ever need fish, I make trips to Fish Ranch and City pets about every 2 or so weeks. I can pick you up some fish if you don't feel like driving that far.

(:
                              We're extra friendly in katy.

Kind Regards.
                              Alexa Rae
                              Co-President of CAK

Comment

Working...
                              X