Is gph cumulative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is gph cumulative?

We were wondering if two canister filters that push 400gph in the same tank means they really are cumulatively pushing 800gph?  Or is it just a matter that it is two 400gph filters working more efficiently?  

In a 100g tank that will have a variety of loaches and botia how many times per hour should the tank "turn over?"

Re: Is gph cumulative?

It seems to me that if both filters are removing/returning 400 gph then yes... you have a total turn-over of 800 gph.  Does that mean you are achieving TWICE the actual filtration of just a single filter - I don't think so.

The important thing about filtration, of course, is moving "dirty" water through the media to be returned as "fresh."  When multiple filters are used, each filter is processing a relatively lower concentration of pollutants than if it were doing the job alone.  The results are additive in that two filters will remove more pollution than one - but I don't think they remove twice as much as one filter.  There are so many variables that will affect this such as placement of intakes and returns relative to one another and those of the other filters, are there circulation "dead spots" in the tank, do feeding practices concentrate uneaten food closer to one filter than another, are all filters using exactly the same media and in the same proportion, etc.

As for optimal turn-over rates, I've seen references that suggest 5-6 per hour is adequate under most circumstances.  I've heard other people say they prefer something closer to 10 per hour.  The guideline that you choose may not be as important as what your water tests tell you.  Given your current filtration arrangement and your tank's current bio-load, if your ammonia and nitrite levels are where they should be (0 ppm) then you have adequate filtration - if not then something needs to change.

Comment

Two 400gph filters will have a total of 800gph and two filters will be twice as effiecient as one filter.

community tanks I go for 4-6x
      planted tanks 2-4x
      cichlids 10-20x
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

If you run two pumps in parallel (one left side & one right) the total flow will be the sum of the two flow rates.

If you run two pumps in series the flow rate will be the smaller of the two
        but the head will be the sum of the two.
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

5 to 6 times an hour really is more then enough typicallly, now a salt tank i prefer more so that the water goes through the bio load more often preventing chemical spikes. and in an overcrowded tank extra filtration help to a certain extent. at least till you use up the surface O2 exchange. then you can add an air pump and stone
          Never fear I is here
          David Abeles
          Vice President
          Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Two filters at 400 gph will move 800 gph as long as their discharge tubing/piping is not connected.

Also, one may clogg faster due to its location..i.e the end that you feed from or waste collection in the tank.

The pumps on the canister filter will only move what the media will allow it to move that is if the canister has no bypass.
            380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
            300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
            180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
            150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Thank You for all the information so far!  It really has helped us clarify this question we had.

Comment

Working...
              X