Turquoise Rainbowfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turquoise Rainbowfish

I was looking at my tanks today (avoiding doing work) and noticed  three little fish swimming around in my rainbowfish tank. Since the tank is heavily planted, I don't think much about it if I cant find a fish. About a year ago I had a few guppies in the tank. I hadn't seen them in a while, and just assumed that there was some guppy fry in my tank. Upon closer inspection, the body shape was not that of a guppy. It was that of a rainbowfish. I had read about breeding rainbows a while ago - and tried to breed them - unsuccessfully.

Now that they have bred, I have a few questions. Does anyone have experience breeding them? Any suggestions on what I should do so as to not mess up the conditions in the tank.   There is no way that I'll be able to catch these young fish - it looks as though they have already been living in they tank for a couple months vased upon the size.
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Re: Turquoise Rainbowfish

First of all, congrats! I know you didn't really do anything, but oh well, you have rainbow fry!

I say don't do anything! Keep doing what you're doing and try not to change the parameters or layout too much. Chances are these are the ones that got away and are skilled at hiding from the adults. They are probably eating the infusoria, etc. that's usually present in a well planted tank.

Might want to watch next time you feed the adults to see if the little guys are joining in. Do the adults notice them at all?

I don't know about breeding rainbows - I've read about it too in hopes of someday keeping some, but no first-hand experience.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I think you should leave them as they are as well!

Nothing cooler then letting nature take it's course in you tank!
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

hurray, you got most of those rainbows when they had no fins and were just getting over major body and fin rot(but soooo cheap) and now they breeding, i remmember that day, we bought like 100 bucks worth of plants for like 35 at Sunny's (he treated the rainbows till they were healing way to go Mike) its nice to see the wee babies all grown up :wink:
        Never fear I is here
        David Abeles
        Vice President
        Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

The fry looked well-nourished. I'm gonna pay close attention tonight during feeding. One of the fry was out in the open (well as out in the open as he cam be in that tank) and nobody seemed to bother him.
          Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Comment

They are eating flake and frozen food. The fry don't seem bashful at all (at what point are they no longer fry?) I think I just spotted more eggs...

Comment

hahaha now you have more babies to take care of, as if you didnt have enough already
              Never fear I is here
              David Abeles
              Vice President
              Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Wow, that's great! Don't know the answer to your question, it's like asking, "when do you stop calling them 'kids?'"  

Keep us updated...did you confirm the eggs?
                "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
                X