Any Alternatives For Aquarium Salt...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Alternatives For Aquarium Salt...

Is there any alternatives for aquarium salt (i.e. Epson salt)?

Another question: What is the best way to rid tubifex worms from an established tank (i.e. chemical/water treatment)?

Re: Any Alternatives For Aquarium Salt...

Souljaa-

I had a case of Ich about a month ago and some of the members stated that I could use table salt. I used it without any problems. Cured my Ich in about two weeks along with higher temp. and frequent water changes.

P.S. You know you could have let me get those blue and green rocks from the auction yesterday.

Comment

Yes, Kosher salt, but it in most grocery stores for about  1/4 the price and it's pure.

Comment

You can get Kosher salt?
        Does it say Kosher on it? What brand?

Thanks

Comment

1/4 of the price of Epson salt or aquarium salt? At any rate, it sounds like a good deal.

What about the tubifex infestation? I was told by a guy at Petco that any copper-based medication (i.e. any Ich meds. that's copper based, Victorian Green, etc...) would work b/c that's what he used/uses. Any ideas about anything else anyone?  :think:

Dave, I need that gravel to give a little "life" to a couple of tanks I'm gonna redo. I have a couple of 75's that right now has black lava rocks in them, and I tired of lookin' at the "absence of color".   It was cool when the fish in each tank was smaller AND fewer and for bacterial growth. And I hate to get rid of it for that reason, but "Gotta Go, Gotta Go"!!! "My kids" have totally destroyed the layout of the tanks with all the rock-spitting and moving

I get bored w/ them sometimes b/c numerous spawns have all my tanks occupied, so I'm tryin' to get rid of some of the offspring...well, really a VAST majority of offspring, which are Red Devils (fry, juvies/young adults), Texas cichlids (fry and juvies), and Jaguars (fry). SO IF ANYONE WANTS (OR KNOWS SOMEONE) SOME OF THESE, I GOT 'EM FOR CHEAP!!!!   I should have brought them to the auction, but I didn't have the bags and didn't want them to be sittin' in the car while we were at church that morning.

Comment

Kosher salt or non-iodized table salt doesn't matter what brand.

Epsom salt works for a cure all as well.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

If you use copper, just remember that it's not exactly safe for invertibrates. If you have a lot of snails you might want to monitor them - if there's a big die-off the water quality will drop pretty quickly.  If you don't have snails (or any other inverts, for that matter) then no worries. :)
              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

salt
                'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Working...
                X